GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm working on doing a SAS on my z71 (Ive talked to you about it before dark) well I found a guy selling a 14 bolt on PBB and before i got it, I wanted to see what you guys think a fair price for it is, and if it is what i need...here are the specs...

14 Bolt FF 3:73 with and open case and an Eaton Locker, spare set of shafts, Rock guard for 14 bolt, 10.5"

He also said he tore the axle down to clean and regear it and has sense put it back together, however the backlash needs to be reset...

so i guess i have three questions...is this what i need? if so, what is a fair price given that I live on the east coast and so does this guy? and finally...wtf is the backlash and how is that related to the gearing?

thanks guys for helping me not be such a newb :shake:

·
Banned
487 Posts
3.73's suck...your guna need a new carier to gear down.

I could sell you a ff14b 10.5" with 4.10s for probably 1/2 of what hes guna want for it and i'd still be getting a deal.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
name your price and we will see...he is offering his for $150 and i would go and pick it up so there would be about another $200 for getting it from him to me...i would have to regear that axle also but if you can get one cheaper that would be awsome :head:

thanks

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You don't need a new carrier, you can fit anything up to 5.13's on the current carrier. $150 is a good price especially including a rock guard and spare shafts. Backlash is just the amount of play between the pinion and the ring gear. You pull the cover and set a dial indicator on the ring gear and adjust till your around .006" of backlash. It takes all of 5 minutes on a 14 bolt.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
backlash is easy to set on a 14 bolt because it doesnt use shims, but see if the pinion depth/preload is set, i doubt it is so you will have to do that as well which takes a bit longer but still not that big of a deal if you take your time. I would say 150 is a very fair price, especially if hes gone through it and replaced the seals and shit. The thing is, im guessing the eaton locker is the g80 and its not exactly the best locker around.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
stupid question here but how do i tellt he diff between the 10.5 and the 11.5?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
the 11.5 only comes on 2001+ d-max's or 8.1s

Visually it has a bump on the bottom of teh case where the extra area for the ring gear is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts