GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Race Ready
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 GMC Sierra Z71 and had to get a few things fixed on the front end. I got new lower ball joints (both sides), pitman arm (right side), idler arm (right side) and shocks (both). I picked my truck up and when I drove off the lot it didn’t drive right. When I got home I saw I was leaking power steering fluid from the top of my steering box. I took it back to the shop and the guy said that these things wear out and it needs to be replaced too. My question is that when I dropped off the truck it wasn't leaking anything and drove fine so now it just happened to start after he replaced the new parts. My truck has 100,000 miles on it with aftermarket tires that are a little bigger than factory (285 75 R16). Was the steering box due to be replaced? Do you think he could have damaged it when he replaced the new parts? I got an est. for $190 to replace it which isn't bad I don’t think but if it's something he caused then it should be $0. Also, do I need to get an alignment after replacing these parts? Last thing..total to replace all these parts will be $736 does that sound like a good price? Thanks Akers

·
STOCK TRUCK
1,324 Posts
Sounds like they are trying to rip you off. Probably loosened a hydraulic line so that fluid would leak out, and they're trying to get more business. See if you can tighten your hydraulic lines going into the steering gearbox with a wrench. Replacing those parts dont require a front-end alignment. Only upper control arms, inner and outer tie rods, and if you crank your torsion bars. This is the exact reason I dont let anyone but me do repairs. Only thing I dont do is alignments. If I had an alignment rack and computer/spec software, I'd do it myself. :)

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
I have a 2003 GMC Sierra Z71 and had to get a few things fixed on the front end. I got new lower ball joints (both sides), pitman arm (right side), idler arm (right side) and shocks (both). I picked my truck up and when I drove off the lot it didn’t drive right. When I got home I saw I was leaking power steering fluid from the top of my steering box. I took it back to the shop and the guy said that these things wear out and it needs to be replaced too. My question is that when I dropped off the truck it wasn't leaking anything and drove fine so now it just happened to start after he replaced the new parts. My truck has 100,000 miles on it with aftermarket tires that are a little bigger than factory (285 75 R16). Was the steering box due to be replaced? Do you think he could have damaged it when he replaced the new parts? I got an est. for $190 to replace it which isn't bad I don’t think but if it's something he caused then it should be $0. Also, do I need to get an alignment after replacing these parts? Last thing..total to replace all these parts will be $736 does that sound like a good price? Thanks Akers

see where it is leaking from on the steering box, and that will help us help you. if its the seal where the pitman arm mounts on the box, i would demand him to fix it, because he prolly damaged it when removing the pitman arm.

if its something simple like a loose hose then tighten it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts