GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
T Nigs
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was hoping to get some feedback on a current situation since im not sure which route to go.

A local Euro shop has just moved to a bigger location and has 20+ customers a week. Ranging from your basic audi/vw to gt3's/cl63's/lambo's. I know the owner and he approached me about working with him at his shop detailing. Heres the catch. He doesn't want to charge me rent because basically I would be bringing my own equipment and I wont be on payroll. He wants me to charge my normal prices, he will promote me to his clients by saying im on site, and I will have to cut him a percentage of my earnings per job. He told me to come in this week with a price list of all the work I can do, and a proposal of the percentage I would give him.

What do you guys think? My current price for a full interior/exterior detail with paint correction (2 passes) is 300 dollars, which in my opinion is cheap as hell, but that's what I charge since I'm not insured or bonded and I dont have a store front. What do you think is reasonable. And would anyone here mind sending me a PM of the prices you charge for work ? This is a pretty big opportunity for me to make some big bucks, I'm just not sure where to start on the business end of things.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
depends what the percentage of his cut is. then look up other detailers in sa and get quotes from them for what youre doing to compare. assuming youre working there, are you going to be covered under his liability insurance n such?

·
T Nigs
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thats the thing, I have to give him an idea of what percentage to give him. So thats what I don't know how to figure. I wont be under his insurance. I will probably need to buy my own once this starts because he has some high end cars come in.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
I think a lot of it hinges on how much work you ACTUALLY get out of it.

I've seen some shops where the customer base won't even blink at a $200-300 add on for detail work and it would keep you busy all day. Then there are others where the clients are totally not interested or willing to pay.

Is there a way to get him to give it a short term 'trial period' to see how it goes. It would suck to have some kind of contract commitment to be there and not have any work. if you're busy from open to close each day then you can definitely give him a good %... but if its like 1 car every couple of days a big % + you providing the supplies wouldn't make sense.

·
T Nigs
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well some customers are your regular matenience people and a few are high end. Like today he's installing a eurospec roll cage for a gt3 that was shipped from Germany. And that guy asked for detailing. The nice part is he will basically promote me, but customers schedule with me. So I'm not at his shop from 9-5. Only when I'm scheduled to detail. So a trial period wouldn't be a bad idea, however I'm not his employee so a flat rate, preferably on the low end would be beneficial. Basically he knows I'm a college kid and wants to help me out. He just wants a cut for me using him to get work.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
fwiw, most franchises i know of doing similar work where you pay for your own materials and cost of doing work, however they help you get your clients and use their name fo ryour business, they take a 30% commision on everything you do.
id say thats pretty similar to what youre getting into with that guy.

·
Registered
425 Posts
make sure all you equipment stays with you, that way you dont roll in and find someone using ur equipment damaging it or trying to take your business

·
T Nigs
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I will definitely have my own equipment and will most likely get a trailer set up. 30% sounds reasonable, the only number I had in my head was 25% so I may lowball him with that first and see what he says. And probably start charging 400 for full details.

·
Tonysteve
477 Posts
If it's anything like my area most people wont understand why someone would charge $400 for a detail when they body shop or car lot down the street will scratch up your finish and get the dirt off it for $35. So make sure you get some good high res before and afters so those customers that don't understand quality work know why they would want to pay that pricing. For the lambo and gt3 customers it should sell itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts