GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
STATIC 4 LIFE
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal, i picked out a new set of wheels. I have a few combos im looking at. My truck is a 3/4 drop and here is the combo im looking at.

Here is a picture of the truck as it sits now, and it will just help you vision the new wheels on the truck. The wheels i decided to go with at the BZO Lucky 6 style. Now my question is, should i go 20x8.5 all around with a little bit wider tire on the back? Or run a 20x8.5 in front with a 275/40/20 tire and a 22x10 in the rear with a 295/40/22s in the rear? Or 22s all around? Im also painting the black inserts white to match the truck.

here are the pictures of what im working with. What do you guys think would look best on the truck?

011-2.jpg

010-4.jpg

bzo_lucky_6_chrome_w_black_inserts.jpg

·
GMFS Czar
2,031 Posts
First off, is your rear-end notched? If not, I'd drop everything (no pun intended) and do that first. Secondly, are you planning on going any lower? If so, do it now THEN buy the wheels. It'll save you a ton of money in the end.

Will 295/40/22's even fit in the rear? I don't like those wheels personally ...I'd look at Centerline wheels. I'd also go with chrome if you have the cash. Just not a fan of the white or black, though the white inserts could look good if you have it done right.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Go same rim width. Maybe a wider tire in the back if you dont care about rotating

·
STATIC 4 LIFE
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off, is your rear-end notched? If not, I'd drop everything (no pun intended) and do that first. Secondly, are you planning on going any lower? If so, do it now THEN buy the wheels. It'll save you a ton of money in the end.

Will 295/40/22's even fit in the rear? I don't like those wheels personally ...I'd look at Centerline wheels. I'd also go with chrome if you have the cash. Just not a fan of the white or black, though the white inserts could look good if you have it done right.
Yes the rear end is notched. Sitting on a 3/4 drop with room to spare. My front valence is 3.5" off the ground right now. Dont plan on going lower. This is the 7 truck i built im not a newb to this. Two bagged 3 static and 2 lifted. Ive owned a few set of centerline wheels already yes i know thats an option. Kinda going backwards here. This isnt my first rodeo :)

Ive actually post every truck ive built on this forum for the last 6 years i have been a memeber too. They are all on this page.

·
#NBHNC
2,828 Posts
Wider wheel and tire out back for sure.

But I would choose a different wheel.. :imo

·
GMFS Czar
2,031 Posts
Yes the rear end is notched. Sitting on a 3/4 drop with room to spare. My front valence is 3.5" off the ground right now. Dont plan on going lower. This is the 7 truck i built im not a newb to this. Two bagged 3 static and 2 lifted. Ive owned a few set of centerline wheels already yes i know thats an option. Kinda going backwards here. This isnt my first rodeo :)

Ive actually post every truck ive built on this forum for the last 6 years i have been a memeber too. They are all on this page.
Oh I know, I didn't mean to imply you were a newbie ...just didn't see that information posted so I figured I'd ask to make sure we were on the same page. I've been in the hobby just over eleven years and in my experience most guys don't run a notch with a 3/4, even though it's a bit of a mistake, but I understand why. In other words, you can get away with it but the ride will suffer. But yeah, didn't mean to imply you were doing anything wrong or didn't know what you were doing.

My opinion regarding your question - if you can afford to not rotate your tires, I'd definitely go with a staggered 20x8.5/20x10 setup but definitely not a 20x8.5/22x10 setup. No question about it. Seems like 295/40/22's will barely fit and depending on the brand it may be a close call. Not sure exactly what size tire your body style, lowered to 3/4, will accept without rubbing. Largely depends on the wheel backspacing I guess. My '01 had 275/45/20's with a 3/4 drop and the front tires were close - though the 3" lowering springs up front were sagging to what was essentially equivalent to a 4" drop. I'd personally advise against the 275/40/20 especially for a 3" drop. It'll kill the ride quality and just isn't enough sidewall. Won't even fill in the gap between fender/tire/ground. Go with a 275/45/20.

Question: Seeing as though you're notched out back, why aren't you going any lower? Why the 3/4? Just curious. I never did like my 3/4 drop because I didn't like the rake. It was just too much for my taste. I would've preferred it slightly lower in the rear or ideally completely level at around 3/5 or 3/6 or even 4/6 or 4/7. If I had kept the truck it eventually would've gone lower for sure. As I said, I'm just curious as it all comes down to preference and personal style.

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
20's with wider wheel and tire in the rear. im really not a fan of the smaller rim on the front maybe if its an inch off. Say a 18's/19's 19's/20's. 2'' difference looks strange.

·
STATIC 4 LIFE
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good, deal guys. I posted this for a reason and im getting sick of messing around with wheels, the opinions are greatly appriciated and will be takin in to consideration. Hummm humm. Alot of better options it seems with better sizes have been brought to light. I have some thinking to do. Does anyone have any examples of some of the setups you guys are talking about, picture wise on the 2000 and up body style gmc or chevy trucks with a similar drop?

·
not low enough
8,703 Posts
well alot of wheels i can think of that would look sick on it. but my q is price range.. and offset. seems ur current wheels have a low offset. kinda like ur goin a little "flush" on the stance. around 30mm is a very easy to find normal wheel.

if u do chrome one wheel i would LOOOVE to own for some reason is a bentchi b11. but when i tryed to get some they where on backorder. just a clean wheel design imo... love it.

·
STATIC 4 LIFE
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well alot of wheels i can think of that would look sick on it. but my q is price range.. and offset. seems ur current wheels have a low offset. kinda like ur goin a little "flush" on the stance. around 30mm is a very easy to find normal wheel.

if u do chrome one wheel i would LOOOVE to own for some reason is a bentchi b11. but when i tryed to get some they where on backorder. just a clean wheel design imo... love it.

Wow i love those. Might have to look into those further.

·
not low enough
8,703 Posts
well i found a set through google had them with tires for 1500 shipped.

on my rcsb i had some hoyo h10b.. they make those in 22s maybe even 20s. has a good wheel design on those too. im picky. the biggest thing i didnt like on the ones u posted was covered lugs and the bowl face..i know they do that to make the lip deeper. but reminds me of boss 330.. and i had those hated them SOOOO bad.

·
not low enough
8,703 Posts
also.. pick out some wheels u like... photoshop section will assist making ur mind up.

and another thing. look at spugens truck on here. the latest wheel setup he has is sick. but cant remember the wheel off hand

·
Niner
77 Posts
Subscribed.... I have been wanting to put 20x8 front and 20x10 back on my truck as well, but its hard to find a good looking wheel that you can stager. I will probably run GMC 20X8.5 with a
wider tire in back until I can afford billets!

·
hella cute n shit
7,652 Posts
With just a 3/4 drop I'd do 22x8.5/22x10's... and definitely pick some different wheels. :imo

1 - 20 of 34 Posts