GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bassmaster
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might want to get a rollpan in the near future. I was wondering if removing the rear bumper and spare tire will cause the back end to noticeably rise up at all?? I have 2" rear shackles and would prefer to keep the truck level. Also, just curious, did you guys ditch your spare, keep it on, or what? I dont feel too good riding around without a spare, so I thought about maybe getting a cover for it and chaining it down in the bed or something, lol. thanks

·
Team Black
1,398 Posts
I didnt really notice a change in height. You'll need to get one of those spare tire relocators to keep running your spare underneath.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
yeah your back will raise up some. Just get some hangers and it'll sit perfectly level since it's still a bit off being 2" lower in the back. And I'd just put the spare in the bed.

·
Team Black
2,415 Posts
the rear bumper is only like 30-40 lbs so thats not much wieght to noticably bring the truck up after removing it.

and for the spare, I highly reccomend keeping it with you wether it be in you bed or under the truck

·
Registered
376 Posts
well for me i noticed it did go up a tiny bit. but its all in your head. even though I also took my tow pack off. as for the spare I dont cary it with me yet.(waiting for the tire relocator). does anyone know if the ROAD HAZARD that comes with the warranty would help me out in case of anyhting happening.

·
Team Black
2,415 Posts
just to let you know that with the tire relocator and a roll pan you can see about 25% of the tire hanging from the bottom of the truck. just a fyi

1,798 Posts
removing the spare and rear bumper raises the rear up just a hair (on an obs excab anyways), i measured my truck awhile back when i did my rollpan, i put my spare in the bed since it looked like ass under the truck and i don't really use the bed for anything major anymore
10-04-06_1714.jpg

·
Bassmaster
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments. I probably wouldnt keep the tire under the truck because it would be too visible w/ the pan installed. Too bad it has to hang down so far...

·
Registered
376 Posts
witht he tire off my rear went up like an inch or 2. but i put my spare in teh back so its all good now.
I really dont think your spare tire can cause that much lift.

thanks for the info on the tire relocator still showing 25% of the tire. For you guys who out it in your bed, what do you do to secure it?

1,798 Posts
i bolted mine and put a cover over it, i've seen some guys who wanted to keep it under the bed use a smaller spare(like a doughnut), not sure if a doughnut would have the load capacity but thats another option

·
Registered
771 Posts
you might not have as big of a problem as us stepside guys do(lighter bed). after i did a rollpan and put my spare in the bed up near the cab i had to put on 3" shackles along with my 2" hangers and it still seems high in the rear to me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I noticed a slight lift after I removed my bumper, spare, and hitch. My truck also got faster! :D

As for the spare, just throw it in the bed or do like me and get AAA.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well, I have 2" drop shackles too. After removing mt stock spare tire, stock hitch and stock bumper, I now have a 1" drop shackle. So, yes, your rear end will go up just like mine did. I know have 150 pounds of crap in my bed to get a full 2" drop. And I called Belltech and they admitted to me that their shackles are designed to drop our trucks 2" with all the oem stuff left on.

·
Puttin 4 Bird
5,842 Posts
just get AAA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts