GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm a car guy. This is my first truck to modify. So be nice ;-)

It's an 04 5.3 Silverado EC with "Independant Front Suspension" (listed under the standard equipment) then listed under Manufactured installed options it says ... "High Performance Suspension".

I ordered a DJM 2/4 drop kit through StylinConcepts and it arrived today. There's no way those front lower control arms work on my truck! The box says they are for 1999 to 2004 Silverado C1500 but my truck suspension has bars that run from the LCA's back to the bed. I'm guessing they are some kind of torsion bars or something. There is a octagonal hole in the OEM arms for this bar but they are not present in the DJM ones. Oddly, it appears they are in the picture in the rediculous instructions.

What am I missing? Did they send me the wrong arms?

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Is your truck four wheel drive? You have torsion bar suspension that is found in 4wd trucks. As far as I know GM does not offer torsion suspension in 2wd trucks. Drops for 4wd trucks up front are totally different from 2wd drops.

Cameron

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
Is your truck a 4WD? Obviously it has torsion bars.

*edit* cam beat me to it....

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Sevenfold said:
Torsion bars can be found on 2wd HDs (3/4 ton).
Ah...ok. Good to know....

Cameron

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
groundscraper said:
Is your truck a 4WD? Obviously it has torsion bars.

*edit* cam beat me to it....
Man you guys are fast!

It's 2WD. As far as 1/2 ton vs. 1 ton .... I claim the 5th :stupidme: I don't know. I assumed it was a 3/4 ton but I honestly don't know. How do I find out?

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Sevenfold said:
*** I just noticed you said you have a 5.3L engine which is not offered in HDs. :wtf:

Any chance you could post a few pictures of your front suspension? That would be a great help in identifying your problem.
That is why I thought 4wd....I didn't think HD's had a 5.3 either.

Could you post pics of suspension or post a pic of your window sticker by chance?

Cameron

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
He's obviously talking about the gay bar. To answer your question, if the DJM arms don't have a mounting point for them, just take them off. They were added to the front suspensions of 99 trucks because of front-end vibration problems. Lots of people on this forum have removed theirs when lowering their truck, with no adverse side-effects.

I really don't think they will hurt anything if removed. I've had mine off for over a year. :bowtie:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sevenfold said:
*** I just noticed you said you have a 5.3L engine which is not offered in HDs. :wtf:

Any chance you could post a few pictures of your front suspension? That would be a great help in identifying your problem.
Okay, I've got pictures .... give me a minute to get them downloaded and I'll post an addy.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
LowBlue02 said:
He's obviously talking about the gay bar. To answer your question, if the DJM arms don't have a mounting point for them, just take them off. They were added to the front suspensions of 99 trucks because of front-end vibration problems. Lots of people on this forum have removed theirs when lowering their truck, with no adverse side-effects.

I really don't think they will hurt anything if removed. I've had mine off for over a year. :bowtie:
From his initial description it is not the sway bar. he mentions that it goes back to the cab and he mentions an octagonal hole on the OEM arm (where the torsion bar goes).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blown 96 WS6 said:
Okay, I've got pictures .... give me a minute to get them downloaded and I'll post an addy.
Okay, here's some pics. I have the window sticker but I haven't posted them unless you really feel a need. I don't think it will be that clear.

BTW, it's a 10 bolt rear.

Attachments

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
I think i know the problem...

if he's talking about a torsion bar suspension, and judging by his rims, i think his truck is one of those "texas trucks" or whatever they are called in other parts of the US.

fgggggggg.gif

:read:

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
Yeap, those are torsion bars. You might be able to exchange the LCA's for some 3" tahoe ones, they might be the same. I'm guessing you have leaf springs in the rear suspension right?

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
Slash4824 said:
I think i know the problem...

if he's talking about a torsion bar suspension suspension, and judging by his rims, i think his truck is one of those "texas trucks" or whatever they are called in other parts of the US.

fgggggggg.gif

:read:
You hit the nail on the head....

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
That is VERY strange...it does appear to be a 2wd half ton w/ torsion bars to me...deff torsions, no coils, and no CVs...usually there either CVs or coils...thats really crazy to me...10 bolt rear, 6 lug with torsion bars AND 2wd...thats not right...

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
never mind...everyone beat me to it...that has to be a "texas truck"...i can't believe the 15 yr old knew...lol...good job slash...the tahoe LCAs might be ur answer tho...You said u have a 5.3 but the LQ9 is the 6.0, correct?? The HP numbers for it is what the HO 6.0 make...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
groundscraper said:
Yeap, those are torsion bars. You might be able to exchange the LCA's for some 3" tahoe ones, they might be the same. I'm guessing you have leaf springs in the rear suspension right?
Yes sir, you are correct! I got the hanger/shackel kit for the rear.

slash4824 said:
if he's talking about a torsion bar suspension suspension, and judging by his rims, i think his truck is one of those "texas trucks" or whatever they are called in other parts of the US.
It looks very simlilar as far as suspension and rims/tires but it's a stock 5.3 L and a stock 4 speed auto.

Attachments

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
the front can be dropped with new torsion keys and spindles. quiksilverz71 has torsion bar keys from belltech, and Mcgaughy 2" drop spindles up front.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sevenfold said:
The good news is, your DJM hangers and shackles will work to drop the rear of the truck 4". The bad news... you'll need to return those lower control arms. I'm not too familiar with lowering trucks with torsion bars so hopefully someone can help out here. Can't he just do it with new torsion keys?
Well, this blows chunks! :doublepuk

This was my plan before I even bought the truck! Strip the badges ... done; put on a catback ... done; add a cold air intake .... on order; drop it 2/4 on 20's; drag my race car around .... poop!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Slash4824 said:
the front can be dropped with new torsion keys and spindles. quiksilverz71 has torsion bar keys from belltech, and Mcgaughy 2" drop spindles up front.
Explain the torsion keys please? Where do I get those?

I hope StylinConcepts will take back the LCA's w/o a hassle. If I use the spindles rather than the LCA's to lower the front will I need different shocks? I bought a full set of Toxic shocks with the kit.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
Blown 96 WS6 said:
Explain the torsion keys please? Where do I get those?
well, unfortuantly i cant help you there, ive used up all my 15 year old knowledge. Try PMing quiksilverz71 and ask him, his truck is 4wd but its a torsion bar setup and he knows about that stuff more than i do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts