GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Tahoe is at the engine shop now with the engine out, and I was set on doing another 350 with a cam, higher compression, and headers. But now im kind of interested in a 383 stroker.

What all would I need in order to make a 383stroker work in my Tahoe....intake manifold, tuning? Anything else?

Also, how would my gas mileage be? And would it even be sensible to run this motor with my stock tranny?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not sure what it would be going in but it will retain the 350 block so you should have no problem re-using your intake manifold and other accessories. If it is computer controlled you will most definetely need tuning. As far as running it with your stock tranny, it just depends on how extreme you are going to go with the build-up.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
basically you can get away with using a 400 crank but you need to get it machined for the mains to fit. it has a longer stroke witch gives it the 383 number. also i think 383 is bored out 30 thousanths over with the 400 crank, but not sure.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
yes, block needs to be notched so the rods dont hit the bottom of the cylinder wall. and yeah 377ci sounds right for an unbored block josh.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts