GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, my truck is going through a big make over this month since the one year anniversary of owning the truck is in April. I'm going to have a lot of questions and I know how irritating it can be when someone is making multiple threads. Plus I know I won't get much traffic on my actual build thread (where the list of this months mods are posted). This will be only for the questions, the results will be in the build thread. Hopefully it links correctly:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292273

So here it goes.

Tomorrows project is to demold, debadge and to fix parts of the clear coat. I need some opinions.

What method is better? The fishing line or heat fun/hair dryer? I don't want to risk scratching the paint and I'm a little hesitant of what it looks like underneath!

I definitely want to get rid of the molding and the 1500 stickers (that's right, they are stickers and not emblems), but should I get rid of the 4x4 stickers, the Silverado emblem on the back doors, and the Chevrolet on the tailgate?
image_zpsh4k5hyix.gif

image_zps78wlqndf.gif

Thanks in advance!
Edit: are there any good knock offs to the 3m eraser wheel? I can't justify $40 for something I'll only use once.

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
What method is better? The fishing line are there any good knock offs to the 3m eraser wheel? I can't justify $40 for something I'll only use once.
I used the cheap $14.00 one off Amazon, I couldn't find any type anywhere in town. It worked great, messy, but great.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'd use fishing line. Worked great for me, but it was a newer vehicle. The 3m eraser wheel is worth every penny. Find a paint store or a body shop in town to buy one. I know you can find one cause i bought mine local a few years ago. Also, use Krud Kutter on the stickers. Put a good coating on the stickers, let it soak for 30 min, then they should peel off nice and easy.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well absolutely nothing went right today. Had to go to 5 different stores to get all the supplies I needed. Fishing line and heat gun didn't work as well as it should have. In fact the only thing that did help was weed wacker line. Believe that? And the 3m wheel would have looked better with a more powerful drill but I won't get a hold of that until tomorrow. While the drill was constantly recharging, I tried a careful technique of a razor blade, a heat gun, good ole friction, and goo gone. Needless to say, I got the 1500 stickers off and the moldings but still have tape all over the truck. I guess I'll take over work tomorrow and be back at it again then.

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
I wouldn't debadge a truck that old, your going to end up with paint now being exposed that has not faded like the rest of the truck.
I had 190,000 miles on mine when I debadged it. I used Meguair's M105 with a DA Polisher, everything blended in perfectly. Then go to the M205 to make it shine!!!! I have 193,000 miles on the original blue paint and it still looks wet.

I watched the videos, well worth the time on how to use M105 and M205.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286648

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
Don't use a razor blade unless you want to ruin your paint.
^^^^^^ exactly

Stick with the 3m wheel, you can rent the right drill from Home Depot's tool rental dept. I used Goof Off with a rag to finish the clean up.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My dad has a Milwaukee I'm hopefully going to use tomorrow. He's the reason I didn't get it finished up tonight but that's a story for a different day. But when I was waiting for the drill to recharge I buffed out where the 1500 stickers where and it got rid of the shadow so I'm happy about that!

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright people. Moment of truth time. Should I take the 4x4 stickers and silverado badges off or will it look to blah
image_zpsjtycynqz.gif

Still undecided on the tailgate. Will probably wait to do that one either way

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It got a little too cold for my taste so I put everything away for the night. I'll probably do like you said and get rid of them at some point this week. I can't decide if I like it without the moldings but I kept them just in case I ever decide to put them back on. Somehow there are scratches underneath where the 3m tape was under the molding. I tried to wet sand and buff them out with no luck. Guess I'll have to break out the touch up paint.

·
nbs 2wd single cab
373 Posts
I'd get rid of everything, it really changes the truck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I say keep the 4x4, don't think it looks bad. The Silverado badge is so inconsequential I don't think it matters one way or the other. Definitely take the Chevrolet lettering off the tailgate. I would get different tail lights though, the amber stands out so bad on the back it isn't even funny.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts