GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight my old man has a 2001 Ford 4x4. He bought it used with around 60K on her. He's pretty hard on trucks cause of his line of work, and he has been having some big truck probs. He now has 176K on this truck and has replaced 4 front driver side wheel bearings. With these Ford has a one piece hub which I guess houses the bearing. We go to looking around under there and noticed some tags hanging from some parts. He thinks the truck was wrecked and the axle has a slight bend in it, forcing the bearing to wear quickly. Now he is going to buy another axle. He is tired of replacing hubs at 400 a pop.
You think there is a small prob we have overlooked or the axle is just bent? You can't see the bend but I don't know.
What ya think??

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Hmm I would think you would know it if it was bent. Honestly cant say though. If it was bent I would think it would also tear up gears etc.... Plus shafts dont bend or anything, they break.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's uses the 4wd a lot and never hears any grinding or anything.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I would say its something else then. Whats going bad in the bearings? Do they just pit out and shit? Sounds like a bad seal somewhere maybe.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure about what's happening with the bearings. They just start grinding really bad then he replaces them before he gets stranded.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
As far as the bend, it could be. Tubes can be bent slightly and it won't have any effect on the gears. The shafts WILL bend to compensate which causes them to get weaker as they rotate and eventually fail. But they will last a while depending on the amount of bend. If it's only a slight bend the shafts won't even be effected since they are only supported on one end, the carrier. So they have free room to move inside the tubes, the other end is supported by the spindle. I can't however see how a bent housing would cause wheel bearings to wear.

It would help to know what kind of wear this is. Are the bearings just welding themselves to the races? Bearing cages actually failing?

The Ford uses unit bearings which do suck since there weak and expensive to replace. I can't remember for sure if you set the preload on the wheel bearings when installing the unit bearing hub or if it's set at the factory as one piece but if not, the preload may be being set too tight causing the bearings to fail. Or it could be set too loose causing the same thing.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll call that old fella tomorrow and ask him about the wear. Then we will see :wtf:

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to my old man and he said that the bearings seem to be welding to the races. But he had it rebuilt about 2 months ago with new bearings and seals.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Sounds like too much bearing preload or lack of lubrication. That or he's buying bearings that are made in a sweat shop in India...

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha
I think he bought 2 sets from the Ford house and 2 aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
willyswanter said:
Sounds like too much bearing preload or lack of lubrication. That or he's buying bearings that are made in a sweat shop in India...

The Ford house installed one, he installed 2 and a front end shop in town installed the last one. He lubes everything at least once a month so I have no idea. He is trying to find another one right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts