GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
LayNBodyOn24z
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im holding off a little bit longer on straight axling my truck. But i do have a few questions. Would 4.56's be to much gear for 36" tires. Im about to get a set of 36's and was wondering what everyone thought about puttin my 4.56's gears in.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
if they are 36x15.50s Id say 4.88s would be perfect :imo

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
What year? what tranny? If you got no OD and you plan on somewhat driving it on the street, yo uwant to keep the RPMS down a tad in 3rd gear. 4.56 is a good ratio for 36's.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
What year? what tranny? If you got no OD and you plan on somewhat driving it on the street, yo uwant to keep the RPMS down a tad in 3rd gear. 4.56 is a good ratio for 36's.
Werd.

·
LayNBodyOn24z
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a 97 350 vortech with 4l60e tranny.

·
Registered
27 Posts
sorry for whoring your thread but. I have 33's right now and plan on 35's later on. What would be the best gears for me? I was thinking 4.56's but im not sure.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
sorry for whoring your thread but. I have 33's right now and plan on 35's later on. What would be the best gears for me? I was thinking 4.56's but im not sure.
The answer to your question is in the Chevy FAQ sticky. Please read the thread. It is in alphabetical order!

·
LayNBodyOn24z
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im getting 37's now... lol the 36's i was going to get are more than the 37's i want. So im just going to get the 37's. Im still going to run the 4.56's... I pull trailors and stuff every now and then would i still be alright? I see alot of guys with this combo so somethings got to be working out! haha

·
For Offroad Use Only
285 Posts
You'll probably still be ok, but you might want to think about 4.88's depending on how much towing you do. While I had my setup with 4.56's I had pulled my brother's hotrod on a trailer, towed numerous ski boats and several U-Haul trailers. While it worked out just fine, while towing I had to stay out of OD while on the freeway otherwise I would bog down going up any hills. Normal driving wasn't really an issue.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
4.88 will be perfecto with some Turdy Sevens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts