GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be installing this along with all new solenoids and some other work to the valve body tomorrow after work. (01 2500 HD)

Question is...i have a hypertech hp3 tune on it now...mainly to eliminate rev limiter and correct the speedo. I'm pretty sure there is a setting for the shift firmness. Basically, will setting the firmness level on the tuner drastically change how the transmission performs? How should i set the tuner after the install?

I understand that these shift kits were designed to allow the PCM control the shifting on stock applications. Just want to know how this will affect it.

Thanks,

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Going to be installing this along with all new solenoids and some other work to the valve body tomorrow after work. (01 2500 HD)

Question is...i have a hypertech hp3 tune on it now...mainly to eliminate rev limiter and correct the speedo. I'm pretty sure there is a setting for the shift firmness. Basically, will setting the firmness level on the tuner drastically change how the transmission performs? How should i set the tuner after the install?

I understand that these shift kits were designed to allow the PCM control the shifting on stock applications. Just want to know how this will affect it.

Thanks,

Jack
Make 100% sure the firmness on the hypertech is set to stock. It'll shift HARD.

I had a planetary gear set explode because of mechanical/electronic shift kits mixed.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
roger that...that's why i asked. i was talking to a guy at work and he mentioned something similar when i talked to him about having the hypertech tune. after i get it done i might write up a new article on it and the new master solenoid install.

should i keep the stock shift settings in regards to rpms, or will that not affect it.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just cracked the box open to check out the instruction and video from 1967 and looks like their tech writers need a hand

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
20150227_124948_zpsepjs9znv.jpg

Scored these for free at the local transmIssion shop

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Nice, I need to add the kit to my 60e

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll be doing a write up on the master solenoid kit and HD2 Kit when i'm done

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
still haven't decided what size to drill the seperator plate holes for shift grrr

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
still haven't decided what size to drill the seperator plate holes for shift grrr
Middle of the road, imo

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think with the shift from 1-2 hole on the seperator i'll go with the.076 from 2-3 i'll go with .085 and from 3-4 i'll go .085 just to start and if it isn't firm enough, i can go more agressive later.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got home friday night from work and got started on the truck. I was able to complete the job, and took her for a test drive. All i can say is the HD2 reprogram kit is a monster. Shifts good and hard at the average setting...which is what i was going for. I installed the moster solenoid kit w/harness, and the transgo HD2 kit. also changed all 3 filters in the valve body. Kit was easy to install. I didn't even take the crossmember off. i just unbolted the 2 bolts that connect to the transfer case and jacked the transfer case up about an inch so that i could get my wrench on the 2 pan bolts that are all the way at the front. 4th gear (OD) and tow haul functions are now alive and well. Probably saved myself a couple of grand doing it myself. The manifold switch positions were all gunked up with a bunch of worn clutch material, but no chunks or shavings. just the black warn particles which from what i've read, is normal wear. I did not upgrade the clutch springs and the big snap-ring. i have saved those for a later date when i actually have to pull the transmission out. All in all, i'm quite happy with how it turned out. Now time to tow something and find out how it performs with the load on it.

Here's a comparison picture of the new vs old pressure manifold switch...
20150227_232239_zps4uruqefw.jpg

new vs old a and b shift solenoids.
20150227_231738_zpscaiaui97.jpg

picture of the pan and filter with clutch particles in the pan (NOTE: i just had a flush done on it 3 months ago and the fluid was already like this. i'm going to check the fluid in a couple hundred miles)
20150227_223710_zpsixu1tfez.jpg

valve body fresh out of the truck ready to be overhauld. the stock gaskets were stuck on the valve body pretty good.
20150227_223706_zpsq9whfgb5.jpg

and the 3 filters i replaced the conicle one goes on the truck side where the valve body mounts to in the fluid valleys.
20150227_124948_zpsepjs9znv.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Nice

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
come do mine

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took a video of the 1-2 shift on the open road, but after watching it, it doesn't really do the kit any justice. it shifts a lot faster and smoother now though.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
come do mine
shop is open here. you buy the beer. My buddy has a bully dog shift kit on his allison and he likes it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts