GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rusty Shackleford
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 RCAs running from the deck and two amps to install. One is for the subs, the other for the speakers. The sub amp has inputs and outputs, the speaker amp only has inputs.

To wire this up I need to run two RCA's to the speaker amp, two to the sub amp, and then run RCAs from the output on the sub amp to the other amp?

Also, opinions on capacitors?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I guess that all depends on if your head unit has a pre-amp for a sub. If it does, you will want to run that to your sub amp. The other pre-amp to your mids/high amp. Do not connect the two.

IF your head unit does not have a sub pre out. Run 1 set of RCA's to the AMP input. Then the output run a set to the other amp.

Beautiful truck by the way!

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
It doesn't matter if he has a dedicated sub output or not, the sub amp and mid amp should have separate runs if possible (and he can). Why you say? Know that thing called a fader? There's your sub volume control!

·
**cody**
343 Posts
It doesn't matter if he has a dedicated sub output or not, the sub amp and mid amp should have separate runs if possible (and he can). Why you say? Know that thing called a fader? There's your sub volume control!
faders are a beautiful thing for head units that have no sub out!

·
Rusty Shackleford
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys it's wired up. The x4 Kicker is fried so I hooked up an old dei amp for now. For some odd reason, two speakers sound like shit, and two sound amazing. I swapped the wires multiple times, ran the rca outputs from the sub amp, and then the speaker amp and it sounded the same.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The distortion you're getting could be in a number of things. It could be in the amp, the rca's, the speakers, or the wiring. You've tried all of those though. It may be in the radio or the settings. Also try to retune your 4channel

·
Rusty Shackleford
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plugged the distorted set of speaker wires into the same location in the amp as the the speakers that sounded good and they still sounded like shit. I also swapped out the RCAs and it had the same effect. The sound coming out of the speakers just sound as if they aren't getting treble...like it is just pure mids. Stock NNBS deck and I don't think they even have 4 channel RCA outputs so I'm not sure how it is wired up. At this point, I am thinking it is the headunit.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's most likely the wiring. If you're using a line out converter and a stock head unit, you much just be hooked into the sub where the radio will filter out all but the bass. Try your wiring and remember to hook it in after the amp.

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
It's most likely the wiring. If you're using a line out converter and a stock head unit, you much just be hooked into the sub where the radio will filter out all but the bass. Try your wiring and remember to hook it in after the amp.
Wrongo, filtering is done at the amp. So all mid and no treble tells me either the tweeters are blown, or the amp is set to low pass. Check the crossover on those channels and make sure it's on full range or high pass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts