GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planning on buying a radar detector. What kind of radar detector works best? What do you guys use, help me out, :shake:

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
get a Bel 895. I bought it at radio shack for $150. It's the only place that sells the 895 model. Mine has worked great for me. I've tested it with my friend's 8500 x50 and there isn't even close to enought difference to justify the $150 extra.

If the cop has his radar on, my 895 WILL detect it in plenty of time. There has never been an instance where that hasn't been the case.

Although, obviously no radar detector can detect a radar that isn't on. The POP function works really well.

If I had to do it again I would have bought the same one. Even if the 8500 x50 was only $200 I still would have bought my Bel 895

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
dont waste your money. I wrote two tickets last night for 92mph in a 65mph, both with radar detectors.

A radar detector does not detect if a radar gun is ON. It detects if it is being activated, which most of the time, is being activated to get YOUR speed, in which case its already too late, and you are getting a ticket.

Just for fun, I also wrote a ticket for 107mph in a 65mph Thursday night, he also had a radar detector...

Seriously, dont waste the money, just know when to speed and when you can afford to...

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
dont waste your money. I wrote two tickets last night for 92mph in a 65mph, both with radar detectors.

A radar detector does not detect if a radar gun is ON. It detects if it is being activated, which most of the time, is being activated to get YOUR speed, in which case its already too late, and you are getting a ticket.

Just for fun, I also wrote a ticket for 107mph in a 65mph Thursday night, he also had a radar detector...

Seriously, dont waste the money, just know when to speed and when you can afford to...
I agree and that's why I can't justify spending $400 for one. However, if there's someone a mile ahead of me and they get clocked, my detector will go off. If the guy left his one(like an idiot) then my detector will pick it up as far away as 3 miles.

While yes, there is no way to detect an instant on when the cop is clock YOU. You can pick it up if he's clocking someone else.

Oh and if you get pulled over by a cop, put the damn thing in your console or something. Cops love to pull people over with radar detectors so why tempt them even more to write you a ticket.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
thanks guys i will look into the Bel 895,

and thanks for the advice also,
Do it man, I've had mine for about a year. I bought my girlfriend one too. I might even be able to talk her into selling hers. PM me if you're interested. She drive a cummins turbodiesel and doesn't speed much so she might not want it anymore.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
While yes, there is no way to detect an instant on when the cop is clock YOU. You can pick it up if he's clocking someone else.

Oh and if you get pulled over by a cop, put the damn thing in your console or something. Cops love to pull people over with radar detectors so why tempt them even more to write you a ticket.
You are absolutely right, but odds are you are gonna get nailed anyhow...hehehhe....

And yes, put the thing away! I always make some sarcastic remark about their radar detector wasnt working or something...hahahaha

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My Passport 8500 has saved my ass several times....

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I keep track of saves. The Best buy Cobra, I've had for 4 years and I have 22 saves ( detect radar with a cop actually shooting radar ). It's given me so much notice before, I have started speeding back up because I saw no cop, to see them sitting on the roadside 1/4 mile up. False alarms are something you have to get used to, though.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
My ex-girlfriend got caught in my truck by a speedtrap along with one person ahead of and behind us (4 officer trap). That day I pulled it off my window, took out the hardwiring, and threw it in my box of crap. I havent used one since. IMO the best way to stay out of a ticket and still speed is to have a good eye.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts

TRUE :LOL: People ask me that question all the time and my reply is "all a radar detector does is let you know 5 seconds before you get pulled over" now I also tell them that there best bet would be on a Jammer but they are illegal in most states and if an officer is behind you and clocks you he will be able to tell that you have one also just for some info CHP can get 4 vehicles at once they have two detectors in front and back so it doesn’t matter if you are in front of him or behind the car

my favorite line that i get is " i didn’t know you where behind me" and then i say " well you would not have to worry if i am behind you if you where driving the speed limit"

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
Ehhhh... you show me an effectively working radar jammer, come down to me and prove to me that it works, and I'll pay for it! :LOL:

And there is absolutely no way an officer can detect that you have one. It's only based on a hunch, if that. If there was some sort of super secret cop device that does this, I am pretty sure I would have known about it. I am one of the few cops in my agency that actually spends their own cash on their own radar equipment, and have yet to see anything that does that.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
my golden eagle II has shown 12mph and the veh. was actually going about 95+ and he had a jammer or it will show a - - when you are behind someone
Basically the ones that I have seen show up like a malfunction on the radar screen i have not come across vary many because they are illegal in CA

VEHICLE CODE
SECTION 28150

28150. (a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is
designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing,
disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other
electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the
speed of moving objects.
(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or
otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming,
scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with
radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law
enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.
(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of
subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.
(d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of
subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a
valid federal license for operating the devices described in this
section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is
carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the
device is being transported.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
I got a k40 setup and love it, all hidden... so much better then havin that shit on your window

·
|=====TK=====|
523 Posts
My radar detector has definitely let me know in advance when an officer has radar going up ahead on the highway. It's given me plenty of time to make sure my speed is acceptable. However, I've had several tickets (back when I was driving tractor-trailer) even while using the detector. Unfortunately, it's only a radar detector and not a cop detector! Instant on will get you every time. Also, it doesn't help much when you are clocked from point-to-point using a timer and set of marks on the highway versus radar. Ticket still hurts the same. No wonder I've slowed down in my old age... -TK

1 - 20 of 27 Posts