GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i had my D3 installed on my 03 gmc with bose. and i get a crackling noise, kinda like static when im playing dvd, cds, radio, whichever, even when its not actually playing music. i also have some minor alternator whine.

i read the common things are for alternator issues, or ground issues. The shop installed a ground that made the alternator whine cut into 1/3 of what it was, but its still audible.

any suggestions? would the big 3 help?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Well i had my D3 installed on my 03 gmc with bose. and i get a crackling noise, kinda like static when im playing dvd, cds, radio, whichever, even when its not actually playing music. i also have some minor alternator whine.

i read the common things are for alternator issues, or ground issues. The shop installed a ground that made the alternator whine cut into 1/3 of what it was, but its still audible.

any suggestions? would the big 3 help?
Do you have any amps or using HU power? Where did they put the ground that reduced whine?

·
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any amps or using HU power? Where did they put the ground that reduced whine?
I have the factory bose amp, thats it.

The ground was put to the metal bar under the steering colum i believe

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I have the factory bose amp, thats it.

The ground was put to the metal bar under the steering colum i believe
So it runs from the radio to the steering column area? I'd say the probability of the alternator going bad is high. It wouldn't hurt to take your battery terminals loose and check for corrosion first.

·
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but would that cause the crackle, the crackle happens whether the truck is on or off.

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
strange, sound like an ALT problem, a loose connection, but if your all stock then i have no idea

·
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its not a constant static/crackle, it does it every few seconds, and even with the radio turned all the way down/on mute it puts the noise through the speakers, ill try to get it on video at break

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
its not a constant static/crackle, it does it every few seconds, and even with the radio turned all the way down/on mute it puts the noise through the speakers, ill try to get it on video at break
Video would help, with clear audio. It is possible you have a ground loop problem, caused by the ground shield on the preamp to be broken or barely connected.

·
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know the blue and white wire coming out of the headunit was popped out of the plug and kinda shoved back in, would this cause this?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
i know the blue and white wire coming out of the headunit was popped out of the plug and kinda shoved back in, would this cause this?
No. That's the remote turn on wire. That would only make aftermarket amplifiers not turn on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im having the same problem and i really need help with it , it is getting really annoying . I had the bose system but changed evrything to aftermarket memphis m-class components , I have a four channel amp on the highs and a amp on my subs , and im getting this static kinda popping noise with alternator whine also coming out of my mids/ highs. Also makes a popping noise when i hit my brakes or say put my turn signal on . If anyone could help me i would really appreciate it this bull#### is driving me crazy!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
Im having the same problem and i really need help with it , it is getting really annoying . I had the bose system but changed evrything to aftermarket memphis m-class components , I have a four channel amp on the highs and a amp on my subs , and im getting this static kinda popping noise with alternator whine also coming out of my mids/ highs. Also makes a popping noise when i hit my brakes or say put my turn signal on . If anyone could help me i would really appreciate it this bull#### is driving me crazy!!!!!!!
All signs pointing to ground. It's either your HU ground, an amp ground, a poor ground connection at the battery, or the ground shield on the pre-outs of the radio are broken/bad RCA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts