GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 95 tahoe and i was driving to campus this morning, hit a small bump, and my radio just turned off. My theft deterrent light flashes but it wont turn on. At first I could push recall and the clock would come up for 3 seconds or so. When I got home I ripped the dash off and checked for bad connections and loose wires but nothing. I still get the flashing light but that is all. It was a really small bump and I have hit ones ten times the size of it and nothing ever happend. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I think its in lock mode, like the power to it got disconnected so it went to its antitheft mode. Someone around here should know how to unlock it.

How is your battery cable connection?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had the power disconnected before, and when I turned the power back on the display came up to enter my code. Now nothing comes up at all, wont even turn on. The only thing that works is the theft light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol............if i was going to steal something it wouldn't be the piece of shit tahoe factory radio

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, i had an idea......I got my power tester out and went to checking the 12 volt constant (light lights up), turned on my car and checked the accessory wire and no light. So i'm thinking my accessory wire is messed up somewhere. Could a grounded speaker wire cause my accessory wire to fail?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok fellas, i ran a wire from the 12 volt constant to the accessory wire, plugged everything back in and ill be dammed if everything worked. Checked all the speakers and they are all blasting out tunes. Now I just have to found out where the accessory wire is messed up and my problem will be solved. Anyone know how to take the whole dash off of the tahoe?

·
Registered
143 Posts
the radio is fed by different fuses - the constant supply and the keyed supply come from two different souces. You said that you ran your own wire to feed 12v to the accesory wire on the radio and it powered up fine. Have you checked the radio fuse yet???

if it were in lock mode it would display "LOC" - after it was powered up (on its own or by the wire that you added)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, radio is working now. i ended up blowing the fuse in the radio when i put to much power to it from the amp line. put a new fuse in and everything worked. im guessing i had a weak fuse because i checked the fuses 4 or 5 times and it looked good.........oh well problem solved

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
When first I read this post I immediately thought that it was the fuse on the accessory switch. The same thing happened to me when I was putting a radio in my dads work car, test lights rule. I'm glad to hear you fixed it. :head:

·
Registered
143 Posts
you gotta be careful what you probe with a test light these days. MAny electronic circuits are susceptable to damage when probed with a regular ol test light. The bulb in the tester allows too much current to flow and can burn out sensitive elctronics. A DMM (digital multimeter) is the best way to troubleshoot electrical problems

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
ibthumpin said:
you gotta be careful what you probe with a test light these days. MAny electronic circuits are susceptable to damage when probed with a regular ol test light. The bulb in the tester allows too much current to flow and can burn out sensitive elctronics. A DMM (digital multimeter) is the best way to troubleshoot electrical problems
I'll have to look into getting one if its better, thanks for the tip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts