GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trucks a 2000 gmc, has the 4.8 and is as basic as they come, my dad picked it up dirt cheap from his buddy then I bought it off my dad.

Truck needs a back frame section, and few odds and ends, all in all it's fairly good shape other then that. I already bought a new frame section, sand blasted it and put epoxy on it. Not to sure where I'm going with this truck, I do plan on putting a full levelling kit plus a 1.5" body lift and maybe a Hd hood. It's also getting full gmfs treatment.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did a few small things to the truck while I was off today, took the tires off, also the rear shocks as a small bracket.

Pic of my new frame ready to be welded in .

image_zps0d6de5d9.jpg

Pic of where the rear shackle snapped in half, previous owner didn't realize it was broke until he took It too a shop to get his brake controller looked at.

image_zps4aca76fc.jpg

Also a pic of the crack. Hauled a fair size trailer for a few years.

image_zpsc6752827.jpg

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dad got done work early yesterday and He ended up Welding in the frame for me and did a great job. Trucks coming together slowly, waiting on some rear shackles that'll be here next week. Tmr I'm blasting the rear hitch , getting frame bolts, and running break lines.

image_zps8930b9bf.jpg

image_zps982bce30.jpg

image_zps5f6634a1.jpg

What's everyone's thoughts on which front end ?

image_zpse9946efb.jpg

image_zpsb2820fee.jpg

image_zps14462b41.jpg

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
i would add some plates or box the inside of the frame where you welded it or else its going to crack right where you welded it, should have made a z notch instead of a straight up and down cut, good plans though should be nice when done

dont want to end up looking like this going down the road

IMG_1576_zps2bd4d903.jpg

IMG_1577_zps8496c458.jpg

·
Yake is a Fgt
3,582 Posts
First front end with colormatched emblem

·
Yuuuuuppppppp
1,055 Posts
Good start. I prob would have just swapped a whole new/newer frame if that back was that bad.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy shit ! Look like he had a stretched frame.

Reason for the straight up and down cut is, there's actually two pieces too these frames. That back part, literally slides right into the main part of the frame. We are boxing the frame in, and making some more supports to strengthen it. The rest of the frame was rock solid so there was no point in doing a full frame swap.

My old burgandy reg cab was a lot worse frame wise then this one, we actually boxed the full frame front to back, and put heavy supports in it. Been good every since. Sucks living in Canada with te salt, sadly my duramax underneath is starting to get rusty, it will also get epoxy and proform so it doesn't completely rot out.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I ended up getting the hitch blasted, went out bought some frame bolts, but didn't get around to the brake lines, too nice of a day to do that. So I cleaned the dmax lol.

image_zpsb26603d6.jpg

Didn't realize frame bolts where so expensive.

image_zpsc52f5b1e.jpg

Dmax all clean.

image_zps0296ba9e.jpg

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked up a 03+ grill off a buddy tnt. After talking to him and what he's doing to his 4.8 gmc, makes me want to make this thing fast.

image_zps3ca9380c.jpg

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
does the 03+ grille snap right in place or do you need a new bumper?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm not 100% sure, I thought I saw someone put the 03 grill with the older style bumper before. Ill try it today and see if it will work. I plan on buying a 03+ bumper anyways though.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Almost forgot I had these 22s, lol. I traded my father in law my steps for them awhile back. There not in the best shape, too be honest I think there too big. I might dip the chrome part to see what they look like all black. What do you guys think ? Trade em off ?

image_zps190545dd.gif

image_zps3159ffba.jpg

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well a ton of works been done to the truck, not as fast as I wanted it but been up north enjoying the cottage lol. The truck is running again, tires are back on it. Brake lines done, new shackles in. As of right now I'm waiting on a pale of pro form. Tmr morn before I head north I'm painting the rest of the frame and getting exhaust hangers. Hopefully be buttoned up by next weekend. Then it's time for some cool mods lol.

image_zps920ece68.jpg

image_zps143be4f8.jpg

image_zpsc618057e.jpg

image_zpse5e38cac.jpg

image_zpsbc295578.jpg

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love that beer, I hate normal coors though taste like water. Also drink a lot of carling to lol .

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I meant coors light being normal coors lol.

I ended up getting the frame done before I left for the cottage. Turned out awesome, i wish I could find a rear bumper.

image_zps8dd7fcfa.jpg

image_zpsd9c1d3f5.jpg

image_zps96a50b58.jpg

image_zpsafc6e61b.jpg

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Havnt updated the thread in a couple weeks, but we got the box on. I ripped the mouldings off today, need to pick up an eraser wheel. I also bought a new rear bumper that's going on the dmax, the bumper off the dmax is going on the gmc. Also ordered brand new rear bumper brackets that will be here Wednesday.

Today I ordered flush mount 3" cube lights. Will be using those as fog lights on the gmc. I think I'm going to cut two holes above the tow hooks and obviously flush mount them in. What do you guys think of that ?

image_zpsffe6d576.jpg

image_zps30000a5a.jpg

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got the truck on the road yesterday, took it on a 4 hr round trip and picked up some rims and tires off a avalanche. Truck runs awesome and gets really good fuel Mileage. Surprised me for being a gasser. Trucks getting tinted this week, waiting on my lights I ordered. Plan on ordering a full levelling kit, plus 1.5 body lift. That will be it for a bit, might buy some general grabber at2s before winter since I'll be handing over the keys to the wife once her dodge sells.

image_zpsee5df6fa.jpg

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Havnt updated the thread in awhile. Truck needed tires so I ordered 285/70/17 toyo at 2. I also ordered a ready lift leveling kit, I through that In Sunday. Had to cut the keys off the t-bars they where stuck on so bad. I also put in two 3" led flush mount lights in the front bumper, looks sweet and does a good job. I have a 20" led bar I'm going to mount behind the grill , bar is bright as hell. Should have the new tires on, Thursday. Starting to come together the way I want it.

image_zps15185439.jpg

image_zpsebd3803d.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts