GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever tried it?
if its watery mud it works great, i wrote a 43 in my pass window and i could see it in the mud
great stuff, im gonna use it everytime i go

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Everytime I have used rain X within a month or 2 my windsheild becomes so pitted I can't see thru it. I stopped using it because I think it does something to the glass.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
Ive found that if you just clean your 'shield real good then put a coat of wax on it, it is basically rainX. The water beads like paint and just runs off, so you dont have to turn on the wipers untill it really starts to pour. Just my $.02.

Nick

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
someone once told me that i couldnt use rain x on my windshield because of the type of windshield it is and that it ruins it

·
Mike D
53 Posts
Everytime I have used rain X within a month or 2 my windsheild becomes so pitted I can't see thru it. I stopped using it because I think it does something to the glass.
rain-x is not going to pit the glass, pitting of the glass would only happen if the glass was not properly polished out after being ground but automotive glass is not made like that anyways so pits in auto glass would come from small air pockets in the glass when manufactured. you would have to use some sort of abrasive on the glass to make scratches or "pits". now what you also could be seeing is small voids in the coating on the glass possibly from the coating process or from the coating being scratched from windshield wipers or just enviornmental stuff, bugs and dust and shit that hits your windshield over time. the rain-x is designed to fill in these pits and scratches so the water doesnt get into them which causes it not to flow off as quickly, just like wax on paint but maybe as it fills in it causes them to show up more and thats why you see them, im not sure on that part but ive been using it for years and i love it cause i cant stand when the rain doesnt bead up and sheet off the glass.
and just so you know i work in optics manufacturing and polished glass lenses for a long time and now do optical coatings so im not just pulling that stuff about the glass outta my ass.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
Take a piss on the windshield NCM

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
JSYGK rain x is a water repellent for glass!

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if its chunks it probly wont work good, but maybe come off alittle easier
but in watery mud it works great

1 - 9 of 9 Posts