GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, finally started work on the back of my truck!!! So my plan is to raise the bed floor 3" so there will be no holes in the bed. Before anyone says go more, I never plan on ever doing a bd on this truck or going larger than 22s. Plus I already have 3" body lift spacers which will work perfect for what I'm looking to do. So my question is are my cut lines correct? I want the bed to look stock just 3" higher. I'm planning to remove the front bulkhead and drill out the rear spot welds, just wanted to be sure on the sides. Also anyone's opinion if I should overlap the sides or just butt weld them after the 3" section comes out?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm in for pics. My truck is bodied 3" and I haven't cut the bed yet for the bd. the center is cut out due to over the axle and I have trailer fenders in the bed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You may not plan on a body drop, but I would set the bed up for one anyway. Ave yourself a lot of work when you change your mind.
I totally understand what you mean, but it's just not gonna be in the cards.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pics redsled, they def helped. Made some progress today, still a ways to go tho. Taking off the bedliner is a bitch.

I am a little further along than what I posted, will have more progress tomorrow for sure.

·
redcrew
1,770 Posts
They way you're doing it will be nice because you won't have to mess withe the tubs. But from what I remembered the top wouldn't line up very well. That is why I sectioned the lower part instead. Looks like you're making good progress though. And yeah taking bed liner off isn't an easy task. Hopefully they didn't prep it good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They way you're doing it will be nice because you won't have to mess withe the tubs. But from what I remembered the top wouldn't line up very well. That is why I sectioned the lower part instead. Looks like you're making good progress though. And yeah taking bed liner off isn't an easy task. Hopefully they didn't prep it good.
Yeah touching the tubs is what I was trying to avoid, actually i was trying to stay above the line where the bed juts outward. Knowing that would mess with the sheet metal aligning after sectioning. I was able to use a air shears to make the long cuts and they are awesome for making a straight cut. The only part that doesn't line up real nice is the very rear where the stake pockets moved, I'll shoot a pic of that today.

They definitely prepped well for the liner NONE of it came off in chunks, just powder.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More progress, bed is almost complete. Just some small stuff to fab up and that's a wrap for the bed. Extend bed supports, rear bed floor crossmember, weld everything up, put back the front bulkhead and possibly outer wheel tub supports.

Backing strips made from the sectioned out pieces. Works out perfect cause they are already the shape it needs to be.

Floor raised up

Rear cuts tacked in, this is what confused me the most prior, so hopefully this helps someone out later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More progress today. Fab work is pretty much done, just need to finish weld everything. It looks like a truck bed again, after it's all done should look completely stock to the untrained eye. Not sure what I'm gonna do about the bedliner yet, the current one is all hacked up now and I don't think it can be grafted with new liner. I may just get some diy bedliner for now to look semi decent.

Front bulkhead tacked in

Rear gap closed up with some 1/8" flat bar(for rigidity when it gets stepped on). I used the old sliver from where I cut off the tail, to retain the factory rolled edge of the bed, probably never will be seen but I would still know and probably couldn't live with it like that.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,680 Posts
How did you do the supports on the underside? Have always wondered how that part was done

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice job! Can you post a couple of pics of how you tackled inside the wheel wells.
As of right now they are just cut so it would free the floor. I'm planning to make some strips of sheet metal going transverse the bed just to bridge the pieces back together. I'm thinking the rods provide more support than the sheet metal.

How did you do the supports on the underside? Have always wondered how that part was done

I haven't done those yet, but I have some pipe that the rods will slide into, cut them a little longer and slide them together and weldem up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok beds pretty much done, just need to seam seal a couple of areas later. Just por15ed the bare metal areas until I figure out what I want to do with the bedliner.

Support rods extended

Side

Front bulkhead

After por

Honestly with the tailgate closed, can't even really tell a difference, but with the bed on I have 5" of clearance from the top of the frame to bed floor. This should be plenty of room to keep my notch under the floor and still lay out. Just need to check the rear end but I doubt it will be a problem.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,680 Posts
I was wondering about the structure under not the bed side support

·
Registered
400 Posts
All the structure underneath is attached to the bed floor. When he raised the bed floor the structure moved along with it. His raised floor with the appropriate sized spacers will bolt right back to the same spot just will longer fasteners.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts