GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys i know i been asking yall alot of questions lately but im going to get my bags very soon here. i do have a denali clip so i only be able to lay frame. i appreciate all the help yall have given me. my last question is how to raise the stock gas tank and the tranny x member. any pics once again will be get and some how to's would be great. once again thanks for everything.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
dont be a damn weany jsut get in there tear that bitch open and get her done. no seriously.
the gas tank he is what you do.
take bed off and romove little thingy on back pass side of tank.
remove the gas tank straps with a jack and wood under the tank.
drap the tank all the way and push it outa the way
drill out the rivets that hold the front crossmember on.
use some 1x2 stock and weld it in there to raise it an inch.
or be cheap and easy like i did and get some 2 in bolts and bolt it back it useing nuts as spacers i used two 3/4 in nuts to space it. about and inch or more ithink
mark on the back bottom part of the cab where the seam is youll see where the gas tank will be raised a little there. stock its already close to the cab use a saw and slice it at the two ends then use a crow bar and bend it in towards the front to givve extra space.
in the back cut the crossmember off flush with the frame and get some 1/4 plate and weld it in like bxing the frame then place your crossmember up flush with the frame and NO HIGHER or you will hate life.
weld all that shit in.
then the second bed crossmember back from the front will need to be notched ciz it will sit onthe gas tank. notch that and put the damn tank back.

ok trannies gotta love stupid chevy biulders
on that take a straight edge and run it across both front and back of the crossmember using the frame as your line
mark all the way across both front and back from side to side.
take the tranny crossmember out .
cut the stich weld s through and remove the bottom piece of the member
cut the line you made on the member.
take them member without the bottom plate and go test fit
slide the bolts in and place the bottom piece on.
then go back to the truck and cut the excess of that shit off.
check to make sure all looks good.
take the member out
weld the bottom piece back in.
bolt the member back in.
cut some 3/16 plate
get some card board and make a template of what you need to stregthen on the side of the crossmember by the frame.
trace that onto the plate cut it out bend it up then weld that shit it and your done.

ok ill do exhaust to since your gonna ask anyway.
unbolt the crap after where it ys together.
cut a slit halfway throught the pipe at the first bend where it comes out of the manifold. on the driver side
heat the hell out of the pipe where it bend down outa the manifold where you just cut. beed that shit up toward the floor.

then after it ys you will need to take a section out becuase you need to shorten it up to make it back where it was. its kinda hard to explain hope you get it. no i dont have pics ive been bad.

IF I MISSED SPELL SOMETHING THEN EAT IT.:whip:

any more questions just ask we are here to help

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright definately will do...i wish i could get this shit done sooner.but my friends really iffy bout it..like dude its gonna fun and gain experience with this shit come on..i think i can talk him into it tho.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
i do everything to this truk myself. im bo no means a fabricator. but i am mechanically inlcined. and have good problem solving skills. i need to, i wire custom houses for work. and i mean custom this one im one that i just finsihed is 8k sq ft and took three months to wire the line voltage.
any way i do every thing at my dads shop . i go there friday or sat and take the truck aprt and just do shit to keep the progress going. he helps out when i need it. check out the link in my sig. if you want.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah man i just moved to pa to go to wyotech. and with an 80% out of state students, its hard to find a friend with a shop round here that way i can use there shop. closest one i found so far was like 3 hrs away. and he's bagged a truck before. thats who im talkin bout tryin to do mine. think he gonna help me tho

·
Registered
415 Posts
Might want to get some Vicks for that cough, or maybe it's allergies. Sounds kind of serious. :D

I didn't know that this post was only for a stick shift transmission crossmember. If people were reading on here about raising their crossmember, and it was an automatic, then it would be the correct place to post an image and information about ours.

Clint Petree
KP Components

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
i know. im just giving you a hard time.!!
when i bought mine i didnt know either till i cut it all up and took it out of the box. i called aaron(i think) and gave him a bunch of crap for. he said i was the only person to evera call and say it didnt fit. and they didnt know it wouldnt. but all it took was a 1/4 in plate and some gusset and i was on the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts