GMC Truck Forum banner

Rancho VS Rough Country question

29K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Tony826 
#1 ·
So I've narrowed down my two choice's between Rancho's 4" lift and Rough Country's 5" lift from all the threads I've read. I know if i go with Rough Country to get the Blistein shocks.

My question is do you think the quality of the Rough Country is as reliable as the Rancho? I will be doing a lot of offroading and want to make sure it will hold up.

Also I see Rancho's lift kit height differ's on different trucks for some reason.Some report even 44" front/back, others say 43" front/44" back. Does Rough Country come out to a solid 5" at least or is there still some rake?

#2 ·
Heights will differ from truck to truck with every lift. Some sit level with the RCX but it seems most have a bit of rake. As far as offroad ability of each, my neighbor has been using rough country lifts on nearly every truck he's had since the 90's and beat the piss out of all of them. Rancho is well self explanatory. I don't know how much feedback you'll get from people regarding this on NNBS trucks since most guys don't wheel their brand new daily driven $30k+ trucks.

#6 ·
I love my rancho and wheel it, it has a one piece subframe that imo is more solid than the rc kit. It's just a matter of personal preference at this point. Also the kit install was very easy. The ride is better than stock with the rs5000 shocks.

#8 ·
There is no difference in quality. It is really how much you want to spend and what you want to tell your buddies you have on your truck. People that say RC on NNBS trucks are not as good As zone/BDS, rancho, procomp, or superlift just dont know what they are talking about most of the time. Fact is there is really not that much difference. In my experence they all have there advantages and disadvantages. Zone/BDS and Superlift front struts are made by Gabrial and other than the paint are the same strut so woopy doo. Rancho makes there own shocks but are expensive with the kit. The spindles on all of these kits are really the same. The biggest thing is turning radius changes. I got RCX because the value is there and the quality is solid. I like the cross members look and construction and you can still make a U turn after the install. RCX shocks are total shit so take that into consideration. I did bilstien because it is far superior to any shock included in any of these kits and really that is the only difference.

#9 ·
I lol at these types of threads where people come and bash RCX but have never ran RC, installed RC, owned RC, etc.

99.9% of people will never offroad their trucks hard enough to mess up ANY lift kit. What makes one kit a better quality than another kit? How can you tell?

I've had my truck in sand, mud, hills, rocks, snow, etc and I have had no problems. I would happily purchase this kit for my truck again.

Good luck.

#10 ·
Thanks guys. I guess the only thing I was worried about was it wasn't a one piece frame. Not that I do heavy rock climbing or anything. Just mild trails and a bunch of farm work and mud. How do the fenders measure on the RC? Are they close to level or a little rake?

#11 ·
My experience with RC tells me they lack quality. Stuff didn't line up, ball joints failed, my truck wouldn't hold an alignment, etc. That was their 3" kit but that was enough to steer me away from them for good. Thats my opinion and what I call poor quality. Be it parts or R&D. RC denied any issues with that kit but it's obvious there were many, and 4 years later it's "redesigned." I just don't like what they offer other than the 5" kit. Based on my experience, I would undoubtedly choose the quality and proven reputation of Rancho. It's a better desinged kit.

#12 ·
My experience with RC tells me they lack quality. Stuff didn't line up, ball joints failed, my truck wouldn't hold an alignment, etc. That was their 3" kit but that was enough to steer me away from them for good. Thats my opinion and what I call poor quality. Be it parts or R&D. RC denied any issues with that kit but it's obvious there were many, and 4 years later it's "redesigned." I just don't like what they offer other than the 5" kit. Based on my experience, I would undoubtedly choose the quality and proven reputation of Rancho. It's a better desinged kit.
I find that interesting or I had a rare 3.5" kit with zero problems. Only reason I took it off was to go bigger--which now I run there 5" kit

#16 ·
Tenneco Inc

Rancho products are manufactured and marketed by Tenneco Inc (NYSE: TEN) a $17.45 billion manufacturing company best known for its ride control and emission brands, including: Monroe® shocks and struts, Walker® Exhaust, Thrush® Exhaust, and DynoMax® Performance Exhaus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.