GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you pay the cost to swap a cam and run L/Ts on a 2003 4.8 with only 75k miles or would you take that money and swap in a 6.0?
Keep in mind it would be for a lifted truck and Im just wanting more power and torque out of this thing. Not wanting to make it super fast.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
6.0 without a doubt. you can find them for under 750$ with low miles, will get good power out of it stock (id imagine about what LTs and a cam would net you, maybe a hair less) and is a better platform if/when you do want to make more power later. just add a cam and headers then...and you will be ahead of the game. Plus its plug and play for the most part...

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6.0 without a doubt. you can find them for under 750$ with low miles, will get good power out of it stock (id imagine about what LTs and a cam would net you, maybe a hair less) and is a better platform if/when you do want to make more power later. just add a cam and headers then...and you will be ahead of the game. Plus its plug and play for the most part...
I hear Id need a new tranny, what tranny should I look for?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Well I hear 400 for the cam and I figure atleast 400 for the headers and that doesnt include install. So probably over 1g

Where can I look at different 6.0s for sale?
I would definitely do a 6.0 swap into a big lifted truck like yours. It would be much more beneficial than a cam swap. The closest thing that you are going to get to LTs that are emissions legal in CA is Dougs headers. They are more like a midlength though. A cam swap will also cost you much more than $400 in parts. My cam alone was $380. Plus you will need springs, pushrods, a stall convertor, and a tune to get all running right. But then again you would have to have some sort of header with a cam otherwise it's a waste. So you would definitely be looking at around $1500-2000+ for a cam install because it's much more than just a cam and springs swap. Go for the 6.0, get your tranny beefed up and go from there. It will be a great start.

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would definitely do a 6.0 swap into a big lifted truck like yours. It would be much more beneficial than a cam swap. The closest thing that you are going to get to LTs that are emissions legal in CA is Dougs headers. They are more like a midlength though. A cam swap will also cost you much more than $400 in parts. My cam alone was $380. Plus you will need springs, pushrods, a stall convertor, and a tune to get all running right. But then again you would have to have some sort of header with a cam otherwise it's a waste. So you would definitely be looking at around $1500-2000+ for a cam install because it's much more than just a cam and springs swap. Go for the 6.0, get your tranny beefed up and go from there. It will be a great start.
If the cam swap costs so much how come you are going that route instead of dropping in a 6.0?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
If the cam swap costs so much how come you are going that route instead of dropping in a 6.0?
because I want my truck to be a NA 5.3 in the 12s. A 6.0 is easy to do. I would rather be difficult. I am buying some new and some used parts. Right now I'm $380 in the cam, $120 in springs, $360 on a convertor, $80 on E-fans. Will be looking at another $100 or so for pushrods, and another $250 or so in tuning. So thats around $1300 just for parts to make it all come together. I will be doing all installs myself though so that will definitely help with keeping the money costs down.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
plus I'm in a little RCSB that weighs around 4200lbs your in a lifted (EC or CC I dont remember)truck that weighs a lot more. A 6.0 can move your weight around more efficiently and much easier than a cammed 5.3 could do.

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
because I want my truck to be a NA 5.3 in the 12s. A 6.0 is easy to do. I would rather be difficult. I am buying some new and some used parts. Right now I'm $380 in the cam, $120 in springs, $360 on a convertor, $80 on E-fans. Will be looking at another $100 or so for pushrods, and another $250 or so in tuning. So thats around $1300 just for parts to make it all come together. I will be doing all installs myself though so that will definitely help with keeping the money costs down.
If you ever need an extra hand let me know, Im always down for shit like that.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
If you ever need an extra hand let me know, Im always down for shit like that.
sounds good dude, hopefully I will have all the parts by the end of march at the very very latest and have everything buttoned up soon after that. Then hopefully you will be talking to the fastest NA 5.3 RCSB in California. Sorry for hijacking your thread btw. Let me know if you need help with the 6.0 swap if you go that direction.

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem will do.......One thing I need to know is Im looking at car-parts.com and they all have this different coding and different VIN codes......How do I know which one I need?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
go to performancetrucks.net, under GM general discussion there is a thread where you can ask for part numbers. Ask for the part numbers you are looking for and there is a guy that can help you out.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
go with the 6.0. since you're lifted, a cam in your 5.3L will move your powerband up. 6.0 will give you the same power (more or less) as a cammed 5.3, but your power band will not be moved up. you want that low end grunt to get that big truck moving, which a 6.0L will provide.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Do both.

·
Registered
785 Posts
One thing though, Doug's Mid-length is only CARB legal in a 99-01. For 02+ they only offer a shorty. For his 03, that leaves only the Bassani Optimum length header as a CARB legal mid-length currently in production. A set can be had for under $600.

This man has it right. :D

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One thing though, Doug's Mid-length is only CARB legal in a 99-01. For 02+ they only offer a shorty. For his 03, that leaves only the Bassani Optimum length header as a CARB legal mid-length currently in production. A set can be had for under $600.

This man has it right. :D
If I end up doing it you can retune it for me Justin?

·
NCOR
8,451 Posts
I want to know where you're finding 6.0L's for $750 with low miles. Even without the harness and comp thats cheaper than anything I keep looking at even if I have no time to swap motors currently.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I want to know where you're finding 6.0L's for $750 with low miles. Even without the harness and comp thats cheaper than anything I keep looking at even if I have no time to swap motors currently.
:word: I have never seen a 6.0 for under 1000 unless it was a block only

1 - 20 of 64 Posts