GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I know rattle bomb will never compare to paint sprayed professionally from a gun, obviously. Some projects don't need as perfect, expensive paintjob though, especially ones with a high likelihood of getting messed up and needing touch up.

Soooo, I have two conditions that seem to come up with trying to spray paint parts (with a nice finish). First, I am able to get the clear coat to appear pretty glossy and wet looking after wetsanding and polishing...but the end result is that the paint feels "soft", almost rubbery. If i drag my finger along it, it doesnt slide smooth but rather skids and jumps, like dragging your finger across smooth rubber....thoughts? not drying enough between coats?

Also, and the bigger issue, is dusting. When I recently painted the front half of my golf cart midnight blue to match my truck (going to redo it), with each coat there seemed to be a layer of paint "dust" settled on top of the paint when each coat had dried, even on the final clear coats. Basically if I let the part dry, the end result was the part being blue...but with a layer of blue dust sitting on top very loosely stuck to the surface, and essentially ZERO gloss to the finish. What causes this? I am thinking maybe holding the nozzle too far from the part and letting the stream of paint dry too much before it hits the surface? Maybe not laying the final coat on heavy enough? The finish has the metallic sparkle, and the right color, but its like a flat almost textured surface, definitely not glossy and wet looking.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
first i must state i do not do this or recommend using a aerosol can in a manner other than directed. ok first coat stay back like you have been and let the paint settle and somewhat dry (you want it still tacky but not watery, rattle can id guess somewhere in the 5-7 min range) after its tacked go back with your color but alot closer paint sticks to paint. its gonna feel like your going heavy but once it drys youll see the difference. depending on the part and area your covering i would do 3-4 coats of color. then clear in the same manner. let the paint set 5-7 minutes or until tacky then clear over it, first clear a little heavier than your first coat of color then the second coat of clear close and wet. i would again use 3-4 coats of clear. then let it all set atleast an hour if not over night then lightly wet sand with 2000 or 3000 grit then polish it out. ta da! the best your gonna get with spray can

·
Registered
215 Posts
sounds like to me with the first issue that is, ur not lettin it dry long enough between coats and before you handle it. once you put a few coats of clear and wet sand and then buff, if buffed and polised correctly it should be pretty darn smooth..

as for the second issue, seems like ur paintin area is ventalated enough. there needs to be some air movement but very little so dust and dirt dont get blown on to the wet paint. Im not a paint expert thats just my $.02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts