GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2002 silverado 4wd with a 6 inch RCD lift on it. I bought the truck with the lift. I was thinking of upgradeing the lift but was told that you had to weld something up for the RCD lift. Just wondering if this is true or not and if I would be able to upgrade to a better lift.

·
Cocksmith Extraordinaire
4,775 Posts
I dont know that you can upgrade to a BETTER lift but you could sure go bigger.

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
I got a 2002 silverado 4wd with a 6 inch RCD lift on it. I bought the truck with the lift. I was thinking of upgradeing the lift but was told that you had to weld something up for the RCD lift. Just wondering if this is true or not and if I would be able to upgrade to a better lift.

The only welding on the RCD lift is on the original front diff hanger bracket. That bracket(Ear) is cut off and a small piece of flat metal is welded to the two sides for support. The new diff hanger bracket is bolted to the front diff to allow it to drop down 4.5". I have an RCD lift on my truck and that was the only welding that was done on the kit.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
The only welding on the RCD lift is on the original front diff hanger bracket. That bracket(Ear) is cut off and a small piece of flat metal is welded to the two sides for support. The new diff hanger bracket is bolted to the front diff to allow it to drop down 4.5". I have an RCD lift on my truck and that was the only welding that was done on the kit.
Bingo, also i dont know that it matters but you have to do some cutting and grinding on the front differential to mount a new bracket onto it.

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
Bingo, also i dont know that it matters but you have to do some cutting and grinding on the front differential to mount a new bracket onto it.

Yes, The new bracket bolts on to the diff with longer supplied bolts that hold the two halfs of the diff housings together. You cut off the Ear on the diff housing that originally held the diff in place as it is no longer needed, and then just a bit of grinding to smooth it out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info as far as the ear goes if I go to something like superlift or cognito do they utilize the ear or is it just useless. My other question is since that ear was cut off of there I can't put it back to stock?

·
Registered
424 Posts
do a body lift and slap some nice 36" tires on there and call it a day. Unless your talking crazy height, then yes, look into cognito and full throttle's kits 10" and up... Are you running 33's or 35's with your set up right now?

·
Suburbanite
592 Posts
Thanks for the info as far as the ear goes if I go to something like superlift or cognito do they utilize the ear or is it just useless. My other question is since that ear was cut off of there I can't put it back to stock?

I'm not familiar with how Superlift or Cognitio drop the diff for their lifts, but I think it would be similar if their kits use extended spindles. As far as going back to stock, even if you had the Ear on the Diff, the diff support bracket on the frame has been removed so there is no going back to stock.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you tried to go back to stock you would either have to have the pieces from your truck or a donor truck and weld them back on:nono: , major pain in the rear. If you are just looking to get a little higher try the body lift idea stated earlier in this thread.:hmm:

·
Gm truck junkie
3,657 Posts
:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts