GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am new to this forum and just had a 6" rough country lift installed on my gmc sierra 1500 4wd, and as soon as it was done we rolled it off the lift and outside, and a clicking noise is coming from the front end, now the previous owner apparently installed readylift torsion keys to level it, and i was unaware. with the torsion keys fully uncranked it still clicks and the mechanic says it is coming from the front driverside axle being at such a severe angle, i am wondering if anyone has ever had this problem before? and if they have how did they fix it? the noise wasnt happening before the lift was installed, so it has to be something revolving around the lift. also i dont know if this matters, but the front driverside cv axle (the one the mechanic says the noise is coming from) is much more moveable with my hand than the passenger side cv axle. any advice would be much appreciated! thanks,

Jared

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cv shafts will click when they're going out. If it's been level for a while and they've been at bad angles it could be going out on you

·
GMFS Senior Member
4,032 Posts
Post up pics of your front angles. Sounds like you need stock keys and probably new CVs. The noise might go away if you decrank some more, but its telling you that they are on the way out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah mine were clicking when my lift was maxed, but I pulled the bolts out on my ford keys and it went away

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi i am not sure how to upload the pics:throw:, but it isnt at as bad of an angle as you might think. the passenger side is at a worse angle and it seems to be ok and tight. the driverside cv shaft i can move with my hand, like twisting it forward and back it has much more play than the passenger side, and to be more specific about the noise, it sounds like a bad ujoint, thats the best way i can describe it, but i had my ujoints replaced less than 3000 miles ago and the driveshaft from the rear diff seems tight, however the driveshaft between the front diff and transfer case is loose. im not sure what to do its driving me nuts that silly clicking noise. i definetly dont want to change one thing and have it be the other, thatd be a real pain. thanks for all of the help though much appreciated!!!

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
so what if you change one thing and it be another? you won't have to worry about the parts you just replaced for a longer period of time.. listen to the previous posts..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unfortunately im on a budget, but i guess youre right. the torsion keys are as unloaded as they can be so i will try and find some stock keys or replace the axle and see if that helps,hopefully my axle was just bad and this was just too much for it to handle. thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
What's your measurements with the keys all the way down? I wanna put stock keys back in for better angles but mine barely sits level now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i cant remember 100% but i think the mechanic set my ride height from the ground to the top of the wheel well to 44 3/8", but i literally had the kit put in yesterday. my front sits higher than the rear as of now. hope that helps

·
Registered
146 Posts
Damn, mines a little over 44 up front and I'm almost sitting on the droop stops

1 - 11 of 11 Posts