GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
I loved my 10" RE-X in my crew cab. Now that they are in my extended cab they are still great, but are undersized for the airspace I have, I could use something a little bigger now. Great sound for the price though IMO.

·
just a senior...
965 Posts
the changed hands from when Scott Atwell originally did it ( now owner of Fi), then another company bought them, and rumor has it some things changed.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
the changed hands from when Scott Atwell originally did it ( now owner of Fi), then another company bought them, and rumor has it some things changed.
For the better? Worse?

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I hear alot of things about their subs and their amps but I see they are fairly cheap. Whata the deal?
Fairly cheap? Where? Everybody complains they cost too much now since the buyout and prices doubled and tripled.

Things did change. Prices went up, quality went down, and they turned into a company that is more concerned about marketing and image than quality of the product. They aren't innovating anything either, not much has changed since the original designs, if anything. Example, the MT is the same as it was in 2005.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yeah around here a local shop carried RE for about a year, and some how word got around that it was crap. Not sure how that happened, anyways you can get their low end stuff, the RE series pretty cheap, i got a 12" RE SRX for a friend for $99, but apparently those who think it is cheap have never priced a XXX or MT. I had a 15" Mt in my civic and it took my mojo 2000d all day every day, but the sub what not very "musical", the XXX sounds way better!
I have noticed lack in popularity in RE the last few years though, especially in the lanes.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was mostly wondering about their amps. I already have subs, but a company as a whole, quality sucks? I rather spend less and get more but at the same time get good shit... Please dont suggest sundown audio, it seems every thread has something about them.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
ive never heard anything on their amps, honestly i didnt even know they made em. Ive used mtx and currently rockford fosgate, and ive been pretty pleased with them

·
Registered
994 Posts
The only amp i remember is the RE 35.1

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
Please dont suggest sundown audio, it seems every thread has something about them.
:roflmao: its because hes a vendor. hes going to recommend his products when he feels they work for what you're after. is there a specific reason you're counting them out? just curious, totally neutral here.

·
Registered
994 Posts
As far as RE quality, i did sense a buy out or change in them, but did not know it went down, this is probably why the popularity has decreased, but this has happened to many brands, MTX, RF, Orion, PG, Us Amps, Hifonics, these companies either got bought out or quality drowned.. The good stuff was built in the US back in the 90's.. back when you couldn't get any of those amps for less than $200 for the bottom of the line amp. RE did/does still have good stuff out there, i know a guy that had an MT that did 163 dash legal on the B&K mic with 1 sub, but then again this was back in 03', 04', so it's not cheap crap, but what it is today, i don't know..

·
just a senior...
965 Posts
For the better? Worse?
just heresay, I have not personally used it, so unfair to say

Fairly cheap? Where? Everybody complains they cost too much now since the buyout and prices doubled and tripled.

Things did change. Prices went up, quality went down, and they turned into a company that is more concerned about marketing and image than quality of the product. They aren't innovating anything either, not much has changed since the original designs, if anything. Example, the MT is the same as it was in 2005.
But Sean said it :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not ruleing them out. Ive only heard good things on this site about them, but I kind of would like to have an unbiased opinion. I have 2 cvt 12s that I want to put in my truck and have been looking at different amps and those came up, I have heard the name but couldnt find any reviews. They are made by usamps. Lol

·
Registered
994 Posts
Personally if i decided to run RE subs again.. unless i was going strict spl, i would run the MT, but for daily i would run the SX or XXX series subs, and i wouldn't pay retail either, i have seen the XXX 12's in the 300 range before on audio forums. Then again there are way too many brands out there to try and experiment with to keep going back to the same stuff- kinda my theory, unless its just that good!

·
Premium Member
7,892 Posts
I was mostly wondering about their amps. I already have subs, but a company as a whole, quality sucks? I rather spend less and get more but at the same time get good shit... Please dont suggest sundown audio, it seems every thread has something about them.
The amps they didn't come out with till after the buyout, with the exception of the 35.1. I don't think anybody really uses the amps. I haven't tested one personally as they are hard to come by used, or in anybodies car, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were mediocre at best.

The only amp i remember is the RE 35.1
That amp was actually a solid amp for the short period of time it was available, they didn't sell too many of them though, comparatively.

:roflmao: its because hes a vendor. hes going to recommend his products when he feels they work for what you're after. is there a specific reason you're counting them out? just curious, totally neutral here.
It's not just me recommending it. There are others recommending it here that own it and use it daily. And, in all honesty, if something that isn't mainstream gets mentioned over and over, don't ya think there might be something to it?

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
It's not just me recommending it. There are others recommending it here that own it and use it daily. And, in all honesty, if something that isn't mainstream gets mentioned over and over, don't ya think there might be something to it?[/QUOTE]

ABSOLUTELY. I wasn't trying to hate on your product at all. I don't know anything about it and will readily admit it. I was just curious why he was counting it out with the hopes of learning something. Sundown is inexpensive product for what it's rated at and I'm sure it makes a lot of people happy.

·
Registered
994 Posts
i tought re amps were made by us amps and they were good?
I'm not sure about Us Amps "new" stuff.. i refer to basically anything built in the last ten years as there new stuff.. the first shop i worked at, we were a U.S. Amps dealer, and this was back when all of the amps were in the same style heat sink, had the plexi bottoms and were anywhere from 10" wide to 48+" wide. VLX, HC's, US series amps. I'm assuming they were bought out as well or maybe not built in Florida anymore? Maybe someone can add to that.. Personally i do not like the look of the Current U.S. Amps and if i bought another, it would still be the older ones, plus the owner of the shop i worked still has some unpowered U.S. Amps display models still in mint condition if i needed some, but a HC100 is basically just a piece of audio history now and not much of a competition amp in today's classes.

·
Registered
994 Posts
It's not just me recommending it. There are others recommending it here that own it and use it daily. And, in all honesty, if something that isn't mainstream gets mentioned over and over, don't ya think there might be something to it?
ABSOLUTELY. I wasn't trying to hate on your product at all. I don't know anything about it and will readily admit it. I was just curious why he was counting it out with the hopes of learning something. Sundown is inexpensive product for what it's rated at and I'm sure it makes a lot of people happy.[/QUOTE]

The whole Sundown audio is new to me too, but to be honest.. i have yet to see a competitor with sundown yet not lay down some nice numbers.. but they do not carry it around here so i very rarely see it at all.

Saw a video this morning on youtube of a guy in a civic, doing 149 at the kick with 4 of the sa8's at 39 Hrz! This was out of the trunk too in a 4th order

1 - 20 of 24 Posts