GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, since I have a shackle flip, my rear axle has been pushed forward. It bugs the crap out of me, plus now I will rub when articulating. Also, being an extra SWB, I cant afford lose any wheelbase.
What should I do to correct this safely?

drill new hole in spring pack to relocate pin?
drill new hole further forward in spring perch?
just deal with it?

·
Buck Nekkid
50 Posts
I'd either drill a new hole in the perch or get the Zero rate from ORD. But it doesn't look like you need the extra lift in the rear. Drilling the main leaf will take some time. Make sure you keep the hole covered w/the spring plate if you do drill. I have had bad luck w/the main leaves on 73-87 Chevys. I think every one the I have owned has had a busted main.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
willyswanter said:
Drill a new hole in the perch.
Do you think drilling the hole about 1" forward on the perch would still be safe to drive....any concerns?

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
TexK5 said:
Do you think drilling the hole about 1" forward on the perch would still be safe to drive....any concerns?
I'm sure you realize this.... just to make sure..... its fine if there is enough material left. Otherwise I would look at maybe relocating the perch.

I wouldnt drill the spring.

The zero rate leaf I think is avail with a new pin offset to do just what you are asking. If you dont need/want the extra lift maybe removing a leaf???? But I'm pretty sure the zero rate is avail with a offset choice

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
danez71 said:
I'm sure you realize this.... just to make sure..... its fine if there is enough material left. Otherwise I would look at maybe relocating the perch.

I wouldnt drill the spring.

The zero rate leaf I think is avail with a new pin offset to do just what you are asking. If you dont need/want the extra lift maybe removing a leaf???? But I'm pretty sure the zero rate is avail with a offset choice
Yes, I have considered the zero rates, but I dont want anymore lift, plus why spend more $$ when they both accomplish the same thing.

What do I do on the u-bolt plate, just cut a hole or notch?

·
Registered
162 Posts
TexK5 - What is your pinion angle like? Mine points too far up after mine, but I am not done with my rear suspension so I have yet to change it.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Its better to have your pinion pointed up than down. It cuts down on vibration and prolongs life of your u joint.

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
TexK5 said:
Yes, I have considered the zero rates, but I dont want anymore lift, plus why spend more $$ when they both accomplish the same thing.

What do I do on the u-bolt plate, just cut a hole or notch?

Duh.... I didnt even think of that.

Yea... that seems good too. I would think not more than about an inch depending on what you see once you take it apart. An inch SEEMS like a reasonable estimate.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aquaman said:
TexK5 - What is your pinion angle like? Mine points too far up after mine, but I am not done with my rear suspension so I have yet to change it.
Well before the flip I had 9deg of shim and it was perfect, just about 1-2deg less which while under torque the diff tilts up anyway. I was warned that it would tilt the pinion so I only installed a 6deg shim, however this is still too much, its about 1-2 deg up now so I need to fix it. So it just about rotates the pinion about 4-5deg :wtf2: Bad thing is you dont realize all this until you bolt the tires up and get it at ride height :bawl: I havent corrected it yet, because like you it seems Im never done tweaking this bitch :anitoof:

Daniel, your correct I wanted to move it 1" :naughty:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts