GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the stock clutch fan on my 2500 Suburban works better to cool off the engine when its hot, but it doesn't work for crap to keep the A/C blowing cold when it is Texas hot. Just driving around town keeps the fan clutch engaged and sucks power all the time.
I've heard time and time again about the e-fans not working well if towing and what not but my old '07 1500 Suburban with the 5.3 didn't run warm with the factory e-fans installed and while towing. Surely I can run them on a bigger 6.0 and be fine? I do plan on towing hard and heavy and up in the mountains. I just have to know if anyone has had success with OEM e-fans on heavier duty trucks and towing.
This is the cheaper option, the other option is a way more expensive Lingenfelter e-fan pusher setup designed to help the Suburban A/C system while tooling around town and at idle.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Drove through Indio and Blythe on my way to Phoenix in 118* heat wit A/C on as i climbed hills and idled in traffic. Temp gage never moved up from where it always is when warm at normal temps, 06 GMC Sierra.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have a part number for a fan harness that will more or less plug and play once I have the ECM tuned? I can find fans all day long I just can't seem to locate an OEM harness.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just call bone yard and tell them you need fans with harness, If they tell you they don't save harness ask if they have something that's not dismantled yet that they can pull at same time. Its not very long and lines go from fans to relay box under main fuse box. Unless you want to pay the extra for the $100 harness, there is a post here that explains how to wire it up. Also make sure you have the wider radiator, its measured from the size of the cooling fins, when I measured my 28" Rad It was like 34" out side to outside and at first I thought that was the one i needed.

Found the post for you, Its easy to wire up.
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229730

·
Registered
419 Posts
I installed the 05+efans in my 02 1500hd with a ls1fan.com harness for my truck. I tapped into the solid green wire in the stock harness and the drivers side fan comes on wide open when I turn the truck on and stays on high till 5 seconds after I turn the truck off. my a/c doesn't work at moment. I don't run hot or anything, just a vacuum cleaner running under the hood lol. in the factory harness there is a light green with a white stripe on it, should this be the wire I need to tap into ?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I installed the 05+efans in my 02 1500hd with a ls1fan.com harness for my truck. I tapped into the solid green wire in the stock harness and the drivers side fan comes on wide open when I turn the truck on and stays on high till 5 seconds after I turn the truck off. my a/c doesn't work at moment. I don't run hot or anything, just a vacuum cleaner running under the hood lol. in the factory harness there is a light green with a white stripe on it, should this be the wire I need to tap into ?
That doesn't sound right, My fans with AC off will not kick on till engine reaches around 205. The only way I have a fan on at start up is if I have my AC on. Did you just wire it direct with the green wire and thats why you have fan on all the time? No repin and tune?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I put the harness pin in the blue 42 ecm spot. the green trigger wire is the one I have hooked up for a/c

·
00silvy
3,679 Posts
I had the same problem and tapped the wrong wire. Your AC needs to be fixed, that can interfere too. My compressor wouldn't engage therefore my fans wouldn't work right.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not work right how? My drivers side comes on when I crank, and goes off when kill the engine. It's on high, but doesn't overheat, just noisey.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not work right how? My drivers side comes on when I crank, and goes off when kill the engine. It's on high, but doesn't overheat, just noisey.
What we are trying to say is that your fan shouldn't run all the time. If you have your fan turning 100% of the time you A, Set it up that way, or B wired something wrong if you intended for it to run like a stock fan. If you dont care about the noise so be it. It would drive me nuts to hear that fan on all the time.

How it should work with truck running.

No fans running = AC off and engine temp under 205+
1 fan running = Engine temp over 205 or AC on with engine temp under 205
2 fans running = AC on and engine temp over 205.

·
Registered
419 Posts
ooooooh ok I see what you mean now. ill check it out today

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I already checked with Nelson and they don't make a harness for the '10 vehicles since the 1/2 tons came with fans in '05 from the factory. I think I'm goin to hit up a junkyard, I can't believe that a factory harness is over $300.00!!! Maybe that includes the fans too?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts