GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Z71 rear end locks up in slow left turns sometimes...inner wheel chirping/chattering in turn and when I turn hard left I hear a loud binding coming from the rear end. It just started a few days ago and only heard the binding maybe twice so I parked it and I haven't driven it since. I just drained the Diff and the fluid was pitch black. I have read and heard that just changing the fluid will help and also that maybe the spider gears are shot. So, should I just put new fluid in or should i pull the cover to see if there is any internal damage, and if there is will it be visible right away? Thanks DJ

·
mud racing
155 Posts
pull the cover with the rear of the truck supported , wheels in the air. Pull cover,rotate the wheels and try to simulate the noise. It may be apparent as soon as you pull the cover. If it is your spiders, they are not that expensive and are doable for anyone with basic experience wrenching.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the cover and on the inside of the cover was a small pile of grease with metal chunks in it. So I am assuming there are some chewed gears in there. Does appear to be the main gear at first glance. DJ

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I pulled the cover and the ring gear and pinion gear look good. The four smalle spider gears? inside each have teeth chipped or broken. I did some searching and I came up with this for replacement. Does this look right? Does anyone else know a good company to order from. I would definately like to support a forum business if possible. http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDe...uct=YPKGM8.6-S-30V2&Brand=Yukon_Gear_and_Axle Thanks DJ

·
JUGS Racing
1,199 Posts
Yea thats them and go with randys that you have linked.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Depending on your budget, I would go with a new Carrier while Im there. The OEM Eaton Limited slip is prone to issues

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending on your budget, I would go with a new Carrier while Im there. The OEM Eaton Limited slip is prone to issues
Unfortunately that's not in the budget. I have been out of work since Feb so I can only afford to get it back on the road right now. Not to mention I don't have the knowledge to do something like that. DJ

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got everything pulled apart. I have the center pin out, washers slid out and c clips and axle shafts out. Now my problem is that I cant figure out how to get the spider gears out the opening. Is it harder to do because I have the limited slip? Everything I have read says they should come right out.

·
mud racing
155 Posts
unforuntaley I have only done them in open carriers. They have always came out pretty easy for me. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts