GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... First of all... is there any kit out there that Is a bolt on Triangulated 4 link for the NBS? I don't think there is one(well that rides half way decent)

I know for a fact that I need to add helper bags on my truck... If i add any suffiecient weight in the bed, I get very close to rubbing, which scares me a little since i just bought these tires and rims... They do tuck, but not by much. I am planning on flaring the fenders just slightly go give me a little greathing room.

The thing is that I couldn't to a kit like the KP kit or any 2 or 3 link b/c my wheels and tires are so close to the fender lips that I couldn't last with any axle movement from side to side. So throw out any kit or setup with a trackbar/panhard bar in it. I know you can tinker with the placement of the trackbar to make the axle movement minimal, but I'm just not gunna do it.

Anyways.... I was pondering the Idea of tossing out the air lift helper bag idea and just getting some F9000 bags and some bigger valves and a compressor or two instead....

I would pull all the leafs and run a Mono leaf(or mono leaf and the overload leaf)... yes i know, a Mono leaf :insane: .... and then Fab some behind axle brackets for the bags and pretty much call it a day.... The more I think about it, the more and more I think it'll work fine and ride Pretty Good.

I am basically wanting to do the Air ride Air bar setup for the f9000's and run the stock leafs instead of new links.

The only drawbacks I could see would be maybe some wheel hop and it would be hard to align the pinion angle so it would only work at a certain ride height(which is still okay).
Does anyone have experience with a setup like this??

I am open to all comments and possible flames, since this is Just an Idea.

·
Rollin with Saget
1,595 Posts
go with a triangulated 4 link. next to no side to side movement cause the "trank bar" doesnt mount on the side of the axle, it goes from the pumpkin straight to the frame and keeps the axle in the same spot (side to side wise) no matter the height.

air over leaf... dont care what kind of bags, rides like shit from what i hear and what i have ridden in, in other words, dont do it unless its helper springs for towing.

and if ur thinking of flaring ur fenders neway, do it, and you will have no clearance issues.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm not going to do a Air over leaf setup... It's basically a behind the axle bag setup with the f9000 sleeve bags.

I think It'll still ride decent, and I can definitely tow with it. It'll get decent lift and won't cost too much $$$ and won't be hard to install.

I don't really care about laying out completely.

and abou the 4 link, Triangulated bolt on.. where can I get one and who makes it for the NBS? I am dumbfounded that nobody makes a quality triangulated kit for bags on this truck.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Nobody makes a triangulated four-link four your truck because you will have to reloacate the gas tank to run it. You would have to run a fuel cell.

I have a panhard bar, i haven't noticed any movement with it that matters unless i'm at full heigth. It has a heim joint on the end of it as well as an adjustable lock nut so you can set it up for any ride heigth you want. The axle only really shifts with extreme movement (i.e. when you are at 145 psi with 5" of gap from the fender to tire.)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It seems that someone on SSM had a shop fab him a trianulated link and he kept his tank still, but I could be wrong...

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
the tank is in the way, he has to be running a fuel cell to run a triangluated 4 link. Our trucks need a parallel 4 link. I think a member on here is running a triangulated 4 link on his truck. Its the juiced black scsb silverado. I forget his name though, but he is running a fuel cell

but you won't be able to two with a 2 link or a kp 4 link canti. THe mechanical lift ratio on the setup won't let you lift that much weight.

A regular 4 link however would work to give you the towing ability that you want, but won't ride as smoothly. And it won't get as high as a 2 link or the kp 6 link.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I can't find that one on SSM I was talkin about, but here's another. Is it still considered a triangulated 4 link if the links don't mount to the differential? As you can see this one has them mounted to the axle itself.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats a clean setup... But it won't ride very well with those Double convoluted bags....

In the future I can toss the leafs and put on a regular or custom 4 link.
But for now I am going to stay away from links and still run the Leafs with the Sleeve bags.... hopefully this thread will go back on topic about that.

what's the best way to mount the F9000's behind the axle. Where can I get the right brackets, and how is the best way to mount the upper portion of the Bag and fitting??? a bridge in between the framerails behing the axle?

I want to be able to mount the bags bahind the axle and not cut into the bed for the bag mounts.

or is all this too much work for mouting the sleeve bags and should I just run them Air over leaf??? will the have enough room in there to full deflate where the axle sits on the c-notch and rise all the way to shock extension.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Here's a pic of the four link. Had to get rid of everything. Real happy with the suicide kit. Real beefy. lots of xtra bucks for a fuel cell, but i think it was worth it cuz i ran juice. If i was goin with air i think i woulda done a bolt on kit. Just not a big fan of panhard bars. any q's feel free to ask.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks... but I'm not gunna do that ish'

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
We just got done bagging the back end of my friend's dodge. We used the universal KP 4 link, and made it a bolt on. He got some mandrel bent bridge bars. The bags are f9000's. He bought the brackets from ART. The ones that mount to the axle are like $20 a piece, and the uppers for 1.5" tubing are also $20 a piece. Very clean setup. I'll get pics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you need bolt in, just run an air over leaf. If you can weld, go to Air Ride tech's site and get the F9000's with lower bracket part #A001B, and either #A002E, A002F, or A200 for the uppers. And leave the the main leaf and the next longest. Not the main and overload.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea, that's what I'm looking for. Try to get those other pics if you can.

I am debating wether or not to Do an Air over Leaf, or Doing the behind axle setup with the f9000's....

I am just curious to how or if it would lay out with the bag between the frame and leaf versus doing the setup with the bag in the right location behind the axle.

If i did it behind the axle, it wouldn't be hard to convert to any sort of link setup later on if I went that route.

But if I did the air over leaf now and took the easy route, I would have to redo the setup all the way if I wanted to change it. But on the other hand, I could take It back to stock or static drop very easily too.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3333 said:
If you need bolt in, just run an air over leaf. If you can weld, go to Air Ride tech's site and get the F9000's with lower bracket part #A001B, and either #A002E, A002F, or A200 for the uppers. And leave the the main leaf and the next longest. Not the main and overload.
well being that I only have 2 main leafs on my truck, Pulling out just the overload leaf won't do much. I think I would need to pull the middle leaf out to get the truck to come all the way down in the first place.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Chris99GMC said:
I am just curious to how or if it would lay out with the bag between the frame and leaf versus doing the setup with the bag in the right location behind the axle.

It will not "lay out" or come anywhere close to laying out on 22's with the DJM notch. I don't lay out and i have a 27.7" tall tire. Air Over Leaf is known for poor ride quality and little more. Bags behind the axle with pulled leaf springs isn't going to be any better either.

Either way, to lay out on 22's you will have to step notch. I need to step notch mine soon to lay out on just 20's. DJM notch isn't going to cut it, but you will get low on the notch, just not low enough to really make a full bag setup worthwhile.

You do know it will be cheaper to do it the right way the first time instead of ordering up AOL parts, realizing they suck, and then redoing everything? :D

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
for some reason he doesn't like links... :think:
Yeah...but putting the bag on top of a spring seems like it would make the ride rougher. Where as the links don't do anything but hold the axle in place and it lets the bag accomplish all of the work. I might be wrong here...all i know is my friend had pulled leaf springs and bags behind the axle and hated the ride, yet he said the ride of my KP canti was incredible. Case closed as far as i'm concerned :D

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
well, the leaf will ride well if its completely dumped... if he airs it up, it'll ride like ass. Leaf + Air Bag = shitty ride. There is no way around it, unless you take as much of the air bag part out. The thing about the canti is he won't be able to tow anything, b/c of the lever properties of the setup. That is why it rides well, and not b/c of the bag placement. Well, they are related, but you get what i mean...

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Yeah...my friend was telling me the 2:1 lift ratio of the canti also cuts towing in half by the same ratio. It was a trade-off i was more than willing to make. Others might not. If towing is a huge concern the ART airbar would be something to look into in this case.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.