GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
just chillen...
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my rear disc brakes Friday on my 99 sierra z71.

Well today I drive from work to home and I notice some smoke coming off my drivers side from where my e brake is.

My lights been on forever (since I've had the truck) and I've never messed with it.

Anyone got a idea why its only on my drivers side and not my passenger?

·
just chillen...
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Sticking Piston/Caliper or caliper slides. Replace the Caliper. First sign of failure is if the piston was hard to compress back into the caliper.

The brake light could be on for a number of reasons, first check your fluid level.

·
just chillen...
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My passenger side was smoken also wife said something about it after the post all smoke is coming from inside the rotor. Where the ebrake is and it don't do it all the time.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Let me see if this makes sense. I believe your truck has a rear disc brake and drum in hat rotor set up? If so, did you replace the entire rotor? Did you purchase new parking brake shoes? Was there any broken hardware in where the shoes anchor onto, and did you lightly grease the shoes where it makes contact with the backing plate? I just replaced my shoes with AC Delco new brake shoes, and hardware for my rear parking brake with new rotors. I also adjusted the rear shoes on each rear wheel with the rotor on the axle, transmission in neutal, a couple lugnuts on the rotor to secure it, and spun it left and right to see if there was a slight drag, and lokked in the rotor hat and shoes for contact. It's kinda like adjusting rear drum brakes. There is a way to adjust the shoes, but it requires a special tool. Remove the rotor and check the inner hat area of the rotor and brake shoe lining. As for the lights, check the socket or sockets of the bulb to see if the contacts are good and clean. Then check to see if there are any pinched or frayed wires in the brake light harness.

·
just chillen...
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its rear disc and I only replaced pads

·
Registered
346 Posts
So you just put new pads on old rotors?

·
just chillen...
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They weren't used long

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
sounds like what was mentioned above and it is a stuck piston, and they are rusted out since the old pads were worn down and dont want to go all the way back in, i would get a new caliper on that one side

1 - 9 of 9 Posts