GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
orale vato! arriba!
645 Posts
yea better to replace all the pads at the same time, also when your there check your rotors also.

·
the white ghost
98 Posts
P.S. Have your rotors turned for cheap if they are still in specs or buy some new ones.Never put new pads on old rotors.

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
I have a local mechanic I trust MUCH more than a franchise shop.

If the brakes are grinding, you possibly have gone past the point that the discs can be re-surfaced. New discs may be a requirement in the repair.

And even if they are not gouged from metal-metal contact, I second (third?) the recommendation to get them lathe-turned each time pads are replaced.

·
Registered
253 Posts
do it yourself IMO do a wheel at a time, its super easy on discs. theres like 2 bolts holding the caliper on, use a c-clamp to hold the piston in, change out the pads and reinstall... all 4 will take maybe any hour if its your first time

·
Chupa Mi
926 Posts
do it yourself IMO do a wheel at a time, its super easy on discs. theres like 2 bolts holding the caliper on, use a c-clamp to hold the piston in, change out the pads and reinstall... all 4 will take maybe any hour if its your first time
Plus its a lot cheaper. :read:

If they are grinding it may be too late to save the rotors.

·
the white ghost
98 Posts
Why? If they are still slick as a babys ass why waste money?
They might seem slick until you put them on a lathe and then you can really see they are warped.I work at a parts store while in college and people all the time think they are ok,all it takes is a warm rotor and a nice patch of water to warp those puppies.It's worth the time and money since at most it will cost $10 to turn a piece.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Why? If they are still slick as a babys ass why waste money?
Place I get pads from will turn your rotors for free. Also, if you brake very hard, then sit on the pedal, you can warp a rotor, too. After a very hard brake, I'll inch the truck up, ( brake release, brake release ) to prevent an overheat.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
It might not be the pads. Is it coming from both sides or one? If its just the left side it could be the parking brake. When the parking brake shoe wears out the shoe makes a rubbing noise against the caliper. Check that and while you're in there look at the pads to see if they're at the wear indicators yet.

·
GMFS Resident Drunk Guy
704 Posts
It might not be the pads. Is it coming from both sides or one? If its just the left side it could be the parking brake. When the parking brake shoe wears out the shoe makes a rubbing noise against the caliper. Check that and while you're in there look at the pads to see if they're at the wear indicators yet.
Not to threadjack, but I'm glad you posted that... I've been having a grinding noise coming from the rear left wheel on my truck everytime I go around a right hand corner, and I never thought to check the parking brake. Guess I have one more thing to do on my day off this week. :nono:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
if u guys replace the e brakes make sure u adjust them right cuz ull have the ebrake light on all the time..2 cents

1 - 18 of 18 Posts