GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've come to yet another stop in the road. As most of you know, I installed a shackle flip when I put the new lift on. I was getting ready to go to Pismo last Thursday and was going through and torqueing everything down, then went to go put the hitch on....wasn't happening. The way the shackle flip mounts, the bottom bracket goes on the underside of the frame rail where the hitch mounts. Can't put the hitch back on then.... So that only leaves me with a few options

1) Pay for a custom hitch
2) Build a tubular rear bumper with receiver mounted in that
3) Build a plated rear bumper with receiver mounted in that

I like the tube idea personally, but considering I use the back bumper to get in the bed for shit all the time, it leaves me wanting the plated. With the tubular one, it saves on weight.... the poor truck definitely isn't the lightest thing around. I am considering rebuilding the front bumper and making it partially tubed to help save some weight as well, but I dont really use that bumper except to climb on when working in the engine bay. Works quite nicely for that as well. That and I dont have to worry about hitting shit either. If I made the front tubed, then I'd match the rear to be tubed as well, but other functions seem to get thrown out the window. I'm pretty much rambling as I have no idea what I want to do and am looking for suggestions. Either way, I'm doing it for a hitch.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Go with front and rear tubular bumpers. I've mostly seen them on pre-runner style trucks, but I think it would look pretty cool at the same time.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not going for the "it's going to look cool" thing... I want it functional. The rear will include hitch and winch mount. Would tubular be strong enough for both?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
i dont see why not, tube and plate would be plenty stong and is easy as fuck to do. if you can post some pics so we can get an idea of what your workin with and go from there.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Get rid of the shackle flip, put bigger springs on, problem solved.
That is the most useless advice in this thread. Mike Id build a plate style bumper on your truck. I think tube doesen't look right on a Chevy personally. Plate makes those things look beast. If you build a bumper add more bolts to the frame webbing to spread out load onto the frame rails. I really dont think you need a rear winch mount. If you really want to winch fromt here look into the reciver winch mount. If the winch is accomodated in the bumper it will be REALLY bulky IMO.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I guess NBS hitches are different than OBS. Drew's OBS still has a stock Towinf hitch without any issues.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont see why not, tube and plate would be plenty stong and is easy as fuck to do. if you can post some pics so we can get an idea of what your workin with and go from there.
Post up pics? I haven't built anything yet :crazy:.

Get rid of the shackle flip, put bigger springs on, problem solved.
Get out

That is the most useless advice in this thread. Mike Id build a plate style bumper on your truck. I think tube doesen't look right on a Chevy personally. Plate makes those things look beast. If you build a bumper add more bolts to the frame webbing to spread out load onto the frame rails. I really dont think you need a rear winch mount. If you really want to winch fromt here look into the reciver winch mount. If the winch is accomodated in the bumper it will be REALLY bulky IMO.
I'm thinking plate as well. The idea of tube was to save on some weight. I like the overall idea of plate but enjoy the idea of having it lighter with tube. I have a lot of room under the truck that I could incorporate a winch. Would I use it? Probably not enough to warrant putting one in.

Big Tires hitch...

Cool design for sure...but I'm not feeling it for my truck.

well then i may not shackle flip after all. did your ride quality improve
Beats the fuck outa me...:crazy: The shocks are SHIT compared to the bilsteins I had in before. It does ride a little smoother out back though.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's some generic pics from when I put the lift on. I can get some better ones of the frame rail and what not later

FTSBuildup051.jpg

I'd like to have it comes out just as far as stock this time as well.

FTSBuildup052.jpg

only inside shot I have

FTSBuildup067.jpg

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know you said you weren't feeling my bumper for your truck, but since you're so close, if you would like to check it out in person just to see, you could always change the design to fit your needs.

I'm definitely down. I'll pm you my number in a bit. I'd rather get rid of the stock one entirely. I'll be out and about in the truck today if you have some time

Get out

QUOTE]
Why, because you think I only drive a lowrider
I had a shackle flip kit in my 85 K10 and it rode like crap. I put the stock hangers back in with a larger spring and it rode fine
Honestly...I paid no attention to what you drove. I don't judge intelligence off of what vehicle you may be driving at the moment...fuck, I drive a civic daily :crazy:. Your post had nothing to do with the thread at all. The thread was about bumper/hitch ideas...i.e. building a new one, not putting a stock one back on. The shackle flip rides just fine. There's stock springs back there, so by no means is it a bad ride. If you read my build thread, the shackle flip and new shackles were had for CHEAP, are great quality, and saved me hundreds that I dont have on new leaf springs. Getting rid of it all would be a much bigger pain in the ass then building new shit.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
That sucks, Should have got the same shackle flip as me :crazy: im still using stock bumper, but in all honesty, I would do a plate style, match the front and look good.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Wanna sell your factory rear after this rear bumper building extraviganza?:)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
ive got a very simple solution for you.

Bring it to me lol.
doing a tube rear bumper with plate work and incorperating a hitch into it is a simple task. ill sketch up a few things in paint for you tonight. do you mind removing your spare tire rack?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts