GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FEARS NO POTHOLE
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i noticed that there were a few drops of fluid under my rear diff, so i crawled under there and tightened down the bolts. the only one that was loose was the top one by a full turn. is this common for that bolt to come loose?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Umm, was it leaking from the cover or the pinion? Usually the pinion starts leaking and it runs down the bottom back to the bottom of the cover and makes people think the cover leaks.

But if it was the cover just pull it, clean it, and seal it up with The Right Stuff from permatex, never use paper gaskets.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
willyswanter said:
never use paper gaskets.
Just curious...why? I don't have one on mine right now, but i was planning on putting one on when i got my new diff cover. It had one on there when I pulled it too. :think:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
If the cover gets bumped, it will leak, if a bolt comes loose, it will leak... With a Right Stuff gasket, it will never leak and you could remove all the bolts and it wouldn't leak... It takes all of 3 minutes to scrape it off with a putty knife whenever you need to redo it and theres no chances for a leak. Great stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts