GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck makes a clunking noise when i either put it reverse or drive, and it isnt a pleasant noise. So i put it on the hydralic jack, and turned it on, put it in drive, gave it some gas and went under. As it was going, i heard the joints on the driveshaft making weird noises. The faster you accelerate, the worse the noise. I think they are bad. how much is it for new ones on both ends?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
about 10-15 bucks each at autozone. Ive replaced 4 u joints on my truck. They dont last long. Hopefully using all Spicer sealed ones when I go SFA will prolong the life.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yep, if you want strength definately go with sealed non-greasables. I don't have any greasable joints in my truck and I have had the same ones for 2 years now... But I do buy the expensive spicers, not the parts house brands...

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
My truck does the same thing, but i tried to wigal the drive shaft and it woulden't move so could my u-joint still be bad.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Pull the joint out, pull the caps off of the joint and all the needle bearings, wipe the grease off of the cross and check the bearing surface for any wear in the hard facing, scratchs, pits, etc. If it's pretty and shiny and all the needles are still there lube it up and put it back together. I've pulled joints apart that feel tight when trying to wiggle the shaft but when I pull the caps only dust falls out, no needles, grease, nothing, just rust dust.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
That looks pretty bad Stephen. :anitoof:

If you think your U-Joints are going change them. Dropping a drive shaft down I-20 at 75mph is scary and embarassing when you have to walk back and pick it up. :insane:

·
6,656 Posts
willyswanter said:
No, a 40" tire falling off at 70mph and have to chase after that biotch is embarassing!
Had it happen with a tire on my Z, it rolled into someone lawn and smashed their flowers :crazy:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have proof that greasables suck!! I replaced mine a year ago, maybe less, it was during the summer and now they are squeaking again, I also greased em twice since I installed em, I greased them today and still doin it, plus the clunk is setting in....

Anyhow, I dont remember what comes from the factory, greasables or sealed? Also, Stephen and Jason, tell me what brand or type of joint to get, or anyone else for that matter, thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I just replaced the ones on mine, which I think are probably factory, and they were not greasable. When I pull the caps off all i got out was rust dust and some little long metal things that used to be needle bearings.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Spicer Cold Formed non-greasables are the only joints I run. There the strongest out there before getting into the CTM's. I usually pay around $50 a pair on ebay.

·
6,656 Posts
:word: I just ordered mine for my d60. I plan on running them everywhere. Maybe one day I can afford some CTMs and chromoly shafts..... one day.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
greaseable ones are weaker than sealed though.....
Compared to sealed ya, i just meant greasable instead of factory. Or else same thing will happen again.

PS- Even the factory ones wil last 2yrs :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts