GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 2" hanger kit this week to drop the rear of my truck to a 7" or so. My current setup for the rear is Belltech 3" drop leafs and 2" shackles to get my 5" I have now. When I installed my rollpan it came up just a tad. I don't know how much cause I didn't measure it. But I wanted to drop the rear this weekend by adding 2" hangers and notching the frame. Has anyone ever seen this setup or have any thoughts on it? Like is it safe or what will the ride be like: worse or better? I've just never seen this type of setup before and was wondering.

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
i'm still kinda new to the suspension thing...

but ive heard of shackles and hangers w/ stock leaf springs...

and the belltech leafsprings are like like stock, but just made to lower the truck... so i dont see why the combo wouldnt work...

of course like i said, i'm still learning.... can someone give ME a clue?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
around here we call that the "Clifty Slant" i've not really seen a NBS fullsize truck lowered like that, so I haven't a clue. My guess though is that it will be a little rougher, but not by much. I had the factory springs with a leaf taken out and 2" drop shackles on mine back when it was @ 4/6 and I didn't have a bumpy or stiff ride at all. I was pretty happy with it. My friends all had flip kits on their fullsizes and they even said mine rode better than theirs.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
way2hi said:
around here we call that the "Clifty Slant" i've not really seen a NBS fullsize truck lowered like that, so I haven't a clue. My guess though is that it will be a little rougher, but not by much. I had the factory springs with a leaf taken out and 2" drop shackles on mine back when it was @ 4/6 and I didn't have a bumpy or stiff ride at all. I was pretty happy with it. My friends all had flip kits on their fullsizes and they even said mine rode better than theirs.
Thanks bro, I figured that it was ok to go with this setup but wasn't 100% sure on it. I would go with a flipkit for the rear but I've already spent the money on the leafs and if I can lower it 7" in the rear with some $80 hangers then I will. Cause I'll be bagging it before to long and hate to just spend more money on the flip kit when I've already got a setup for the rear. But I'll be ripping all that out when I bag anyway! I just need something semi-low for now!

I'll prolly need some new shocks for the rear too huh? I've got Belltech run back there now but if I drop it 7" it will be rougher.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
It will have about the same rake as my truck i think since i'm at 4/8. When i took my rear bumper off it raised the rear of the truck back up about an inch. When i measure the center of the wheels to the fenderlip my rear is only an inch lower than the front :D I think it looks great in person. You will likely have to roll your fenderlips along with doing the notch to prevent any rubbing.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Y2KSierra said:
It will have about the same rake as my truck i think since i'm at 4/8. When i took my rear bumper off it raised the rear of the truck back up about an inch. When i measure the center of the wheels to the fenderlip my rear is only an inch lower than the front :D I think it looks great in person. You will likely have to roll your fenderlips along with doing the notch to prevent any rubbing.
Yeah that's what I was looking at. Yours is pretty MUCH dead level. And a 3/7 would be too just an inch higher. Cause I found this pic oF a reg cab and he also had a 4/8. Cept he's running 18's.
RCSB 4/8

Yeah I'll roll em just to be on the safe side. I know they'll tuck when the lips are rolled.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Best way I've found to roll em is to get a piece of square steel tubing and cut a notch in it. Then cut slits in the lips where you're going to be rolling them at and insert the notch into the lip and just bend it up.

·
Wheel guy
700 Posts
way2hi said:
Best way I've found to roll em is to get a piece of square steel tubing and cut a notch in it. Then cut slits in the lips where you're going to be rolling them at and insert the notch into the lip and just bend it up.
Careful, if its not coated after that, it WILL rust. I did mine that way, and it started to rust up a little so i got it coated.

·
Burning Rubber
994 Posts
i dont know why ur going to mess with dropping it more in the rear if you are going to bag it.

the stock hangers are riveted on. If you install drop hangers, i think that whatever bag kit or link setup you get for the rear when you bag it will be setup slightly different due to the drop hangers(don't really think it would matter tho). I doubt the ride is going to be very good either since you already have drop leafs.

but afterall, it's your truck, so Do what you want.

I'm just saying, if it were me, I wouldn't put ANY $$$ in the suspension if i was going to get bags.... Every penny saved, is a penny for air bags :anitoof:

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cause I need it lower! :anitoof: Money is not the problem, I could bag it tomorrow if I wanted to. I just won't be able to bag it until later this year or at the first of next year. I'm going to get through with school before I bag it. That's a good while and I need something a little lower for now. Plus when I do bag it I'll just put my factory hangers back on.

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
03Carbondogg, That set up should be fine as long as you notch. Thanks for the pics above. I wanted to know what my truck would look like with a pan and cowl. As for that 3/7. I like a little rake myself.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Careful, if its not coated after that, it WILL rust. I did mine that way, and it started to rust up a little so i got it coated.
Yeah better remember to do that too.

[/QUOTE]the stock hangers are riveted on. If you install drop hangers, i think that whatever bag kit or link setup you get for the rear when you bag it will be setup slightly different
I think he's going with the KP 4 link, so he won't need the factory or aftermarket hangers.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kevindepot said:
03Carbondogg, That set up should be fine as long as you notch. Thanks for the pics above. I wanted to know what my truck would look like with a pan and cowl. As for that 3/7. I like a little rake myself.
:LOL: Yeah that is your truck huh!

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
way2hi said:
Yeah better remember to do that too.
the stock hangers are riveted on. If you install drop hangers, i think that whatever bag kit or link setup you get for the rear when you bag it will be setup slightly different
I think he's going with the KP 4 link, so he won't need the factory or aftermarket hangers.
Werd. Either that or I'm getting Fully Custom bags.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
With my 2 link I used my factory hangers. With the KP 4 link they just bolt up to the factory hanger location, this is what I meant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts