GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week I replaced the rear shoes on my truck. Machined the drums and adjusted. All was good for a day or two. Now the rear brakes are grabbing bad. I adjusted them again last night. All good once again until today when the right side is grabbing once again. I'm so confused on what's happening any insight would be helpful

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im wondering if you have the front and rear shoes in the wrong order??
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the shoes with brake material only 7/8 the way up go on the rear. I made the same mistake before and it sent me in the ditch.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe there in the right order one shoe has the bracket for parking brake cable . And I put it in the same spot as the other

·
Registered
26 Posts
I changed mine when I replaced the rear end and I'm noticing the same thing pal.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I adjusted then down they don't seem to be hanging up anymore they do pulsate but they were warped and I didn't resurface them all that great

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I replaced my my drum shoes on my 06 recently and had no problems. Yes the rear shoe has e brake and it is also where the parking break cable is connected to. When I did mine I I had to disconnect the parking brake cable from the front to make it easy to disconnect it from the shoe. The only thing I didnt do was get the drums resurfaced because when I took them to o'riellys the diamerter on one drum measured out to be 295 mm in diameter and the other was 300 mm in diameter and the max safe diameter cast into the stock drums is 296 mm. So the guy was didnt want to take anymore surface off them and they looked to be in great condition so I just hit it with a scotch bright and put it all back together. Did you put the drum on to where it is contacting the shoes slightly? To adjust the shoes I just drove around in the col de sac in reverse accelerating and stopping real hard to get them adjusted. I have had no problems with the rear shoes excpet they squeel every once in a while since I didnt resurface the drum very well. Yeah I have a nice firm brake peddle and no hanging up from when I replaced mine.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They were slightly hitting and fine for two days then they tightened up and couldn't spin the wheel by hand so I turned em down now I have a soft pedal . And the pulsation is from warpage which I'll get new drums soon. But they don't seem to want to adjust right

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
They were slightly hitting and fine for two days then they tightened up and couldn't spin the wheel by hand so I turned em down now I have a soft pedal . And the pulsation is from warpage which I'll get new drums soon. But they don't seem to want to adjust right
Try the drive around in reverse and stop hard method. That is an old school way to get them adjust but it works.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Oh okay. I think the GM trucks are very simple as there isnt many components to the drum brakes, but the parking brake cable and the horseshoe spring make doing them a pain in the ass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts