GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Resident asshole
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving home from a car show today ran into some probs. rear end started howling bad. pull over i am empty of rear end fluid. i fill it up and the seal where (dont know exact terms) pinion mount is leaking bad. where the drive shaft bolts on. like right behind that towards the back. am i screwed and need to get a new rear end or if i fix this leak am i fine? its bagged but i have no stress on the pinion angle... its a 91 reg cab short bed. thanks.

·
Resident asshole
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah it is. how hard is it to replace it? the one thing i know nothing about is rear ends. i mean i know general repairs and stuff. do i just unbolt the drive shaft and then what? sorry i am a dumb butt with rears...

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
should be yank the driveshaft, the yank that mount on the front of the pinion, i want to call it the yoke but i could be wrong on that word. impact gun would be the way to do that, then just use a pick or soemthing to yank the seal out

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Impact is the only way to remove the bolt. Mark w/ white paint the relation to the bolt and pinion flange. When you put that bolt back IT IS VERY IMPORTANT not to over tighten. Tighten back to the white mark, then just a hair over. You should still be able to turn yoke freely by hand, with no drag.

You need to due this, b/c you are not replacing the crush sleve. If you over tighten you'll fuck up the bearings and you will be installing a new rear end shortly.

Mr. 960

·
Resident asshole
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i replaced the seal and its still screaming. must have messed up something internally. anyone know of any other rear ends i should upgrade to or should i just keep it stock? i hear caprice rear ends bolt right up and give disc brakes. anyone have any experience with that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts