GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would a triangulated 4 link for the rear be the same or better then using the kp components 6 link with watts..? I have heard the kp link raises and dips under throttle and braking.. anyone with kp and watts have any problems with anything like that..? or anyone know anyone running a triangulated 4 link..?

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
Anti-Squat isn't determined with the link placement in a horizontal view, but in a vertical view. The invisible line of intersection of the link bar angles will determine that.
The KP is a parallel 4 bar setup, with 0% AS built in, ideal for a system that can be used in various setups, and heights on a vehicle.

·
Professional Mini Trucker
453 Posts
Triangulated 4-link. Less moving parts, can be set up to perform like a race car, caddilac plush ride and adjustable.

Down side is either using a "Y" link, or get a fuel cell to correctly setup above.

If you dont want to move/modify your tank, use the kp kit. But if you don't mind it and want a better ride without exceptions, put the custom tri-4 link on.

here's an example:

DSC00212.jpg

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Triangulated 4-link. Less moving parts, can be set up to perform like a race car, caddilac plush ride and adjustable.

Down side is either using a "Y" link, or get a fuel cell to correctly setup above.

If you dont want to move/modify your tank, use the kp kit. But if you don't mind it and want a better ride without exceptions, put the custom tri-4 link on.

here's an example:

DSC00212.jpg
i dont mind getting a fuel cell if the ride and quality is going to be better.. will i have any problems with emissions with a fuel cell in az..?

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
You're missing the point, a triangulated 4link isn't going to effect the ride quality, it's simple just an option of how to set it up.

The whole design and execution will determine how well the truck will perform and ride. Like I said, it's the vertical plane that effects that, horizontally effects the centering, and axle location side to side.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
would a triangulated 4 link for the rear be the same or better then using the kp components 6 link with watts..? I have heard the kp link raises and dips under throttle and braking.. anyone with kp and watts have any problems with anything like that..? or anyone know anyone running a triangulated 4 link..?
i'll say this. i don't wanna get into kp bash. i went with a tri 3 link on my 81 for the fact is has to less links, i could keep all 3 bars inside the frame (which i wanted), doesn't require a locating link, and i could pay some one to build one and install it cheaper then i could buy a kp set-up. it's custom and i'm extremely happy with it. some of the downsides thou are the fact since i set my bars up on the inside, i literally have no where to run my exhaust and i defiantly lost alot more space in the bed because of the crossmember that was welded in to support the frame and hold the bars.

it's preference imo. i wouldn't really worry about squatting issues. will you be doing the work yourself or finding a shop?

·
Professional Mini Trucker
453 Posts
Have not used kp personally, just heard customers of thiers talk about it. Myself i did not like the fact of all the extra links, joints, parts etc.

Only till recently have i started hearing about the anti-squat/instant center problems.

If you buy a custom cell, you can have it made to function just like a stock one.

Again an example from my truck. Only thing it needs is the correct/stock gas cap and it will pass smog:

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'll say this. i don't wanna get into kp bash. i went with a tri 3 link on my 81 for the fact is has to less links, i could keep all 3 bars inside the frame (which i wanted), doesn't require a locating link, and i could pay some one to build one and install it cheaper then i could buy a kp set-up. it's custom and i'm extremely happy with it. some of the downsides thou are the fact since i set my bars up on the inside, i literally have no where to run my exhaust and i defiantly lost alot more space in the bed because of the crossmember that was welded in to support the frame and hold the bars.

it's preference imo. i wouldn't really worry about squatting issues. will you be doing the work yourself or finding a shop?

i have a guy in mind to build the tri link.. i just wanted to see what peoples opinions of the tri link was over the kp.. i like the fact thats the tri is custom.. but it seems like everyone was running the kp and watts.. not trying to bash either one.. just want to know which way to go..

·
The early stache
2,503 Posts
I have kp 6 link and if i did it over I would do tri 4 or wishbone setup. kp rides great but is big $ and you can get the same ride with the other. Also the tri4 and wishbone are a LOT less steel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have not used kp personally, just heard customers of thiers talk about it. Myself i did not like the fact of all the extra links, joints, parts etc.

Only till recently have i started hearing about the anti-squat/instant center problems.

If you buy a custom cell, you can have it made to function just like a stock one.

Again an example from my truck. Only thing it needs is the correct/stock gas cap and it will pass smog:

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00322.jpg
i never really heard about the raising and dipping untill the other day when i was thinking about purchasing the kp and watts link.. thats when i was told about the tri link.. was looking to see if anyone with the kp and watts had any issues like that..

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Imo its a sign that the guys with kps would choose a custom one instead if they could do it over...

·
The early stache
2,503 Posts
Imo its a sign that the guys with kps would choose a custom one instead if they could do it over...
I'm glad I got the kp to start with because I didn't know enough to make my own back then. But now, if I ever do another truck it would be silly to pay that much when I could have something better for less. Their product is good if you want a bolt on.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have a 3 link setup in my truck. I built the upper bar myself and had the lower bars made by Suicide Doors. I like they way it rides and i kept my gas tank in the stock location.

IMG_0121.jpg
]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 3 link setup in my truck. I built the upper bar myself and had the lower bars made by Suicide Doors. I like they way it rides and i kept my gas tank in the stock location.

IMG_0121.jpg
]
was it hard to go around the stock tank..? are there any clearance issues with the stock tank..?

·
Registered
921 Posts
It wasnt hard to do just measured a bunch. Then measured some more and then stared at it for awhile, then asked some questions, looked some stuff up and then dove in. I also raised my gas tank crossmember up as well so i wouldnt drag it

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It wasnt hard to do just measured a bunch. Then measured some more and then stared at it for awhile, then asked some questions, looked some stuff up and then dove in. I also raised my gas tank crossmember up as well so i wouldnt drag it
thats what i was worried about with the stock tank.. but raising the crossmember gave it enough clearance..?

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
im going with a triangulated 4 link, i just am trying to save money, and i hear the bushings wear out on the 6 link faster.

i like the simplicity to it, and i have the fab stuff that all i really need to buy are the links themselfs and bags

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
im going with a triangulated 4 link, i just am trying to save money, and i hear the bushings wear out on the 6 link faster.

i like the simplicity to it, and i have the fab stuff that all i really need to buy are the links themselfs and bags
same here. once my wife and i get settled in a new house i'm going to pull off my KP setup and build a tri 4 and a new back half.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts