GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this truck about a month ago, just has over 56000kms on it and i think the rear end is on its way out.. From a stop light i will hit the gas, it will move but then ill hear a clunk. I first thought it was the brakes sticking, took those apart cleaned and greased everything, still clunks. Does this sound like the diff is on its way out?

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,649 Posts
sounds like a slip-yoke problem

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what are you sayin? need a new yoke? How hard would it be to change one?

plus how can i test to make sure that it needs to be replaced?

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
it's just a characteristic of many NBS gm trucks. My '02 does it. I'll grease it, it'll go away for awhile, then come back. It's annoying, but according to GM, the way it's supposed to be.
I think GM also has a slip yoke made of a different material, which I can't remember right now, but it can be swapped in to be made a bit quieter, but not worth it in my opinion.
Search around for slip-yoke info.

There is a company that sells a slip yoke eliminator kit, but it requires quite a bit of modification if I recall correctly.
It was in this months "off-road" magazine I think.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah it just drives me nuts every time i stop and go.. What kind of grease did you use? Is it hard to take out and grease it?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
ask the dealer. Or you can buy some at the auto part store, meeting GM specs. You don't want to use just any old grease. Some tran/transfer case oil makes it back there to keep the splines lubed; this is why you have a seal back there. When the oil get real hot it will mix with your grease, and in time contaminate the intricate parts of the valve body.

Once you are sure you have the right grease, simply remove drive shaft. Clean inside of yoke reall well with brake cleaner and let dry. Clean spline of as best as you can. With latex gloves glop a liberal amount in to the slip yoke and shove it back into the trans. If problem goes away for about 6 months you found the source.

I know what you mean my old 04 Sierra used to do this and it was anoying as hell!

Mr. 960

1 - 6 of 6 Posts