GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is a 2008 Z71 with 10 bolt rear end, been waiting for the G80 to break since the blower install lol. My rear end started clanking and jarring when making sharp turns, so I bring my truck to a gear shop and looks like my spider gears took a shit and it ended up ruining all of the gears in the differential. Shop quoted me $1700 to replace all components and install a detroit truetrac. I'm sorta screwed since I can't drive the truck but the owner is extremely nice and sounds like they do standup work. Does that seem like a fair price?

·
Registered
346 Posts
That seems really high. Especially since your from the states. In canada I just got my diffs rebuilt front and rear with a tru trac locker 4.56 gears and I was around $2000 canadian

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
1700 for only the rear is expensive. I'd call some other local shops and ask around

·
METTALIKATT
4,922 Posts
Too high imo, but you might be needing new axles too, and I'm not sure what they run

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thats kind of what I figured, the truck is already there with the diff cover off so I let them do the job, they sound like stand up people and hopefully this is the last time I have to do this. Just gotta tell myself...no more burnouts, no more burnouts hahaha

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Yeah thats kind of what I figured, the truck is already there with the diff cover off so I let them do the job, they sound like stand up people and hopefully this is the last time I have to do this. Just gotta tell myself...no more burnouts, no more burnouts hahaha
Should have 14bt swapped

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that would have been ideal, just can't do without the truck since its my DD, can't have any extended downtime.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have not had rear end work done in years (LOL) but last time I did was on my IROC back in 99 or something. It was like 900 for a whole new rear end and auburn posi module. Differential doctors in San Leandro CA did it. they are long gone now.

Mr. 960

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
where did you bring it? I'm in lafayette and i know of a couple shops that would've done it for cheaper if a complete axle rebuild wasnt necessary

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Advanced Transmission and Gear off Bertrand, I don't think I need axles but it sounded like everything inside the diff needed to be replaced.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,696 Posts
Still sounds like a lot for what needs to be done. There is less than $1000 in parts and it's no 8 hour job.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
I paid $1550 for both my diffs to be rebuild. That's with all new bearings and seals, gears, truetrac and me pulling them.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Thats where i took mine as i needed my truck back as it was my DD as well. All the other shops were booked for months as far as regears/axle rebuilds. Unfortunately i forked over more than i wanted to them as well. I just went with the open carrier as thats what it had from the factory. They are definitely on the high side but when in a bind with your DD, gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I almost went open carrier, but I'll be one-wheel peeling all over the place with the supercharger and stall...tires are too expensive for that crap and I'd be waiting for a spider gear to explode again lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got my rear end rebuilt with 410s an a tru trac with the super install kit an that was $1300.......but im also in alberta canada

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the truck back, labor was only 4 something, parts are what got me. Not sure where they get their truetrac or gears but they were way more than listed online. Guess they gotta make their money somewhere! Hopefully these gears will last for another 5 years or so.

Trans is next on the hit list I already know lol :pow:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts