GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the stock rear end in a 1996 Tahoe 4x4? where can I find a nice gear set to replace the stockers? What size would you recommend going with? The truck s stock, and it won't see much off-roading,but it will be getting performance mods soon...thanks

9,778 Posts
look in your glovebox at the codes inside it.
You should see
Gu6, G80, GT4, or a few others...let us know what that is and we can go from there.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll try, but I won't be home for 2 more weeks because I am at college and my truck isn't here...i can call my parents and see if they'll find it...

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
if you replace gears it's going to cost a pretty penny because you're 4x4. just take that into consideration when you are planning your budget and such.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
if you replace gears it's going to cost a pretty penny because you're 4x4. just take that into consideration when you are planning your budget and such.
Yup he's right, expect to pay about $1000 for parts/installation. Installing gears is something I'd have a shop do.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
my guess is 3:73 gears on that thing stock... i donly swap them out if you were going with larger tires or so... not for performance.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
The '96 I had came with 3.73:1s stock.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wise choice unless you step up to bigger tires...3.73s and 33's is a nice combo
the tires i have on it now are 265/75/16, so they are at 31.6 inches I believe...I was looking at some new rims, and I found some nice 20s, but I am gonna stick with a more off-road like tire, i believe the size was 285/55/20 which measures out to like 32.3 inches...Should look good, and it won't knock my speedo off that much....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts