GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the switch to synthetic at about 60K, trucks got about 87K on it now. there for swhile it used abouta quart every 5K during change intervals.

I climbed under today to change my tranny fluids and filter and install my Deral pan, and knowticed the whole underside of the motor was really nasty. oil was everywhere, and the dust cover looked like it was the source, also seemed like it was coming from someplace higher up, maybe the valve covers though. I am thinking since i switched to synthetics all the crud that builds up with normal oil has gotten flushed out, and im guessing its just seeping thru, so my question is is there anyway to fix this, or do i have to change my rear seal and if so what kinda pain is this? thanks for yalls help!!

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,649 Posts
last I knew, on older motors, the oil would seep out of the seals that aren't conditioned for synthetic oil

·
Registered
26 Posts
Changing your rear main isn't hard, just time consuming. Just pull your trans back away from the engine, and pop the rear main seal out with a screwdriver, and tap the new one in.

Put a 4.3 torque converter in there also, with a higher stall those tbi 350's really feel 10 times better

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there anything i can do besides changing the seals? also wats the part num. on a synthetic preped seal?

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dang, i hoped it would be an easy task. im thinkin about tlaking to my neighbor about doing it.

where can i pick up that TC?

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also wat tranny does the s10 got lol that way i can hunt for a TC? i got one in my 03... wonder what it would do with the one from my 80E In it.

ALSO im not gonna loose anything by putting this in my 80E am i? no slippage during pullin etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
also wat tranny does the s10 got lol that way i can hunt for a TC? i got one in my 03... wonder what it would do with the one from my 80E In it.

ALSO im not gonna loose anything by putting this in my 80E am i? no slippage during pullin etc.
I didn't look at your sig before, so I don't know if the 4l60-e 4.3 converter would fit on the pump of the trans, but it would be a plus if it did, I'd ask a trans pro. Ask them if it is as strong, Im assuming that the converters should be identical except for one has 3 flywheel bolts, and the other has 6, and one has a higher stall than the other. This is assuming that it fits on the pump shaft of the 4l80-e. If it dosen't then get a aftermarket one that has the same stall of a 4.3 converter.

I had a 4.3 converter in my truck and it was wicked sweet, but when I got my goodwrench replacement for a LD2500 I had to use the low stall supplied converter untill my warrantee runs out, which is in 2 months. :bowtie:

EDIT: You got some big rubber on that thing, I would maybe consider a even higher stall for it. The only problem is you don't want to get to tall with it cuz those TBI's redline at like 5k.

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah got ya. ill see what i can find!

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so its as easy as a screwdriver to pop out and back in?

HELL YES!

now can u tell me if im a 2 or 4 bolt block.....lol

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys! now which one of you said youd come up and help me install it again? lol

thanks a bunch tho!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts