GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope these links work. I couldn't get into the photobucket site for some reason, but here are a couple of pictures of latches to secure my rear seat. I say that this is the beta version, because I plan on doing the following:
1) dampen the connecting rod with rubber
2) have the sliding piece coutersunk to allow more stability
3) install a spring so that you don't find yourself having to slide it down manually.
Quick easy mod that beats the hell out of having the rear seat flop down during hard braking. :D

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/490000-490999/490133_30_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/490000-490999/490133_31_full.jpg

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mods to back wall. The picture shows slide in up position. Place seat back, and then push down with your fingers from each side. The slide drops behind the rear latch (that's why I want a spring instead of reaching around to slide the piece down). To gain access again to the rear seat, pull each handle on each side, which raises the slide above the rear latch, then the seat can fold down. I used a 3/8 screw to go through the existing hole (I tapped) in the rear seat. If you look carefully, I cut the rear seat hook back until about 1/8" from the hole. Basically, the slide acts as the replacement of the cut-away stock hook.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
I get it now, were all the pieces you used stock pieces to be used for something else, or did you have to fab them up yourself?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got everything at Home Depot except for the slide. Here's what it consists of:

a) 3/8"-16 bolts
b) 3/8" lock nuts
c) 3/4" black straps
d) 6-32 screws x 3/8" long
e) The slide I had a buddy do on his mill

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
1badazzchevy said:
Got everything at Home Depot except for the slide. Here's what it consists of:

a) 3/8"-16 bolts
b) 3/8" lock nuts
c) 3/4" black straps
d) 6-32 screws x 3/8" long
e) The slide I had a buddy do on his mill
I guess the slide could be made by drilling the holes and then cleaning up with a dremel, for those that don't have access to a milling machine.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To dampen the slide, I just installed some rubber tubing using the same type of hosing used for a washer (got at Home Depot). The tubing was installed over the rear latch and secured with tie-wraps on each side. I'll get another shot. Now the rear seat is quiet and secure. Works great. :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an extra slide set with 3/4" black straps if anyone is interested. Let me know by PM. First response gets em. The black strap will be cut but not to any size. I'll just provide enough to were you can judge how much you want exposed from the rear seat. To install the black straps, just burn the edges to prevent fraying, and then use a scribe to open up some holes.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update to everyone who has requested or are going to request if I have the extra latches. I've had about 4 requests so far. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I'm thinking about making another 10 sets, and that will be it. If I see more requests, then I'll ask for more. Otherwise it's 10. I asked $2 for the extra set just because I didn't need it. I'm upping the the cost to a whopping $3 just because I have to request for my friend to make more. Shipping was right under $2, so I make a dollar profit. :D
This will be only for the machined latches. All the hardware and straps will have to be picked-up from Home Depot or equivalent.

·
Registered
143 Posts
so I take it you wanted the seatback to be able to drop down to access amps or somehting on the back wall?
the seat assembly isnt lifted is it?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's correct. The rear seat will fold right down without having the bottom portion lifted.

ibthumpin said:
so I take it you wanted the seatback to be able to drop down to access amps or somehting on the back wall?
the seat assembly isnt lifted is it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts