GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a rear shackle flip kit and now my shackle angle is terrible
2aca40b8-eed7-46b5-a241-af0c02471f7c_zps27eeee6b.jpg

I know I could drill new holes in the frame to move the new hanger forward but are their any other ways to fix the straight up and down angle to get it more towards 45 degrees?

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
What shackle bracket is that? Also, depending on the angle of your springs, you may simply need a shorter shackle.

Is that bracket from a lowering kit?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's from Djm, don't think a shorter shackle would help probably make it worse. Called them up and this is the bracket they provided me

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
A shorter shackle would make it better, but it still wont be good... I say bite the bullet and move the shackle hangers forward, I had to do the same thing on the seal. I dont remember how much I moved them but, if you search my build thread it may be in there.

7" shackles

PICT1105.jpg

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,892 Posts
^^^^^^ He's ALIVE!!!!!! :eek:

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
DJM makes lowering kits right? That looks like the bracket you would use for an spring under axle set-up. Did you look at any of brackets offered by offroaddesign.com, diy4x.com, or the like?

Also, a shorter shackle will help IF the rear eye of your springs is below level.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about using a longer leaf spring? Chevys are 63 any other stock trucks have a longer leaf spring?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...out&ppcfon=1&gclid=CN629rD_hr8CFTJo7AodKUEAGQ

How about a set of these to fit the shackle angle..? If needed you could drill the hole size to whats needed. Jeeps use these alot, look up boomerang shackles on google and you can get a good look at them.. They can be had much much cheaper without the bolts, bushings etc.
those were another option but I couldn't find any that fit the chevy type of hanger how it is tapered down.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...out&ppcfon=1&gclid=CN629rD_hr8CFTJo7AodKUEAGQ

How about a set of these to fit the shackle angle..? If needed you could drill the hole size to whats needed. Jeeps use these alot, look up boomerang shackles on google and you can get a good look at them.. They can be had much much cheaper without the bolts, bushings etc.
These WILL NOT fix a shackle angle. The angle between the shackle bushing centers will not change with the "boomerang" shackle. This is a horrible suggestion.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
These WILL NOT fix a shackle angle. The angle between the shackle bushing centers will not change with the "boomerang" shackle. This is a horrible suggestion.
Thank you!!!

honestly stop trying to magic weight loss pill this situation... just take an afternoon and re-drill 8 holes in your frame and live your life with a correct geometry, smooth riding rear suspension :chair:

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
....or get a shackle flip bracket meant for lifted trucks....

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up moving the hanger forward and drilling new holes in the frame. My new angle is much better but I lost about 1 inch of lift. The longest shackle I could find was a 7 inch but that only gets me half an inch of lift. Any places make a 8 inch shackle?

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
That is WAY too long of a shackle. If you need more lift, you need to look at an add-a-leaf, block, or lift springs.

There are things to consider when doing a shackle flip, and using a long shackle along with flip brackets can cause lateral stability issues, change your instant-center, and make body roll more pronounced.

·
4,725 Posts
What he means is run a zero rate

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
What he means is run a zero rate
If it were me, I would have used a stock length shackle with a bracket that was meant for a lifted application. Buuuuut, if all he needs is an inch, a zero-rate or EZ inch is all he needs.

BTW, OP, to get 1" lift from the shackle, the shackle needs to be 2" longer or more depending on the angle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts