GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try and explain this as best as I can, and hope you all can understand me:LOL: I'm needing to fix my rear spring ubolts/plates as the plates that are on there now are too thin and are flexing under the pressure of the ubolt nuts being tight, thus resulting in the springs not being held tight enough to the axle. So the axle feels real loose, and I can wiggle the springs with my hands. VERY UNSAFE. I had my cousin get ahold of some 1/2 thick steel plate (the plates on my truck now are probably only like 1/4 thick) that I was going to cut and use for new plates. As of right now, the ends of the ubolts are point up toward the bed. Well, as of lately I have been thinking of just converting back to the stock setup and point the ubolts downward toward the ground. My buddy and I had this conversation the other night of which would be better (stronger), if either.

What do you guy's suggest?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
just use the 1/2" plate and get some good 5/8" u bolts. Torque down to over 150 ft lbs with nylock nuts, drive 500 miles, retorque it again, call it good.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
1/4" is a perfect thickness, you just need to bend the outer lips up to prevent the plate from bending. Ive got the bent 1/4" out back and the 1/2" flat plate up front and I can tell you from a weight and ease of work the 1/4" is so much better.

The torque will depend on the u-bolt diamter, the difference in torque spec between 1/2" and 5/8" is pretty large.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts