GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found someone that is willing to trade me mirrors cuz I want the one that displays the compass and the temperature. What has to be done to switch them? It's coming off an '04 silvy, it should be compatible with mine right?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend 2000 silvy came with it. So they should be compatible right? I don't know what's involved with the wiring.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Sevenfold said:
Hmm, now that I think about it that is a newer feature that started in 02. I cannot say for sure if it is a plug-n-play mod... maybe someone else has had experience with it.
I have the temp and everything on mine and its an '00 :)

Are there any harnesses around your mirror to plug one into? if not you might have to do some wiring to get it to work correctly.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
it has been an option since 99. it is part of an electronics convenience package. it CAN be ordered seperatly as well. they are possible to switch, but the wiring will probably have to be ran. i dont know where the temperature sensor for the mirror is either. but it is possible to switch

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey lowred...didn't introwheels from the other site run that mod? I remember him discussing the wiring. The temp is read from the area that affixes to the glass. The wiring is nothing more than a power and ground. the mirror houses the compass and thermo electronics.

Kyle

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Wiring power and ground to there would be very simple, I did it for my switches. My truck has it and its a 01. It was an option that I made sure to get.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Golfboy26 said:
Hey lowred...didn't introwheels from the other site run that mod? I remember him discussing the wiring. The temp is read from the area that affixes to the glass. The wiring is nothing more than a power and ground. the mirror houses the compass and thermo electronics.

Kyle
i didnt know that.... makes since though... im gonna have to figure out how to get wires up there soon when i do my tahoe mirrors. they are autodimming, and that is controlled by the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ahh I didn't know they were run by the rearview. makes since though. You know, your pretty useful. We might let you stay around for a little while longer. :)

·
Loves yoga pants
2,408 Posts
I did the mirror upgrade about a year ago...but...

The auto dimming mirror wiring is already ran up to the mirror location...it's just pushed under the headliner...just pull your overhead console and the plug should be right there...

The wiring does NOT include that for the TEMP sensor though...well it could, but my truck didn't have the temp sensor installed so I"m not exactly sure if the wiring is ran for it or not...

I tried putting a mirror with the temp option into my 99 and everything else worked except the temp...so I exchanged my temp optioned mirror with another on an OKAYED used car on one of my dad's lots. I believe John Baker did this to his lifted black truck...or atleast had pics of where the sensor is or could be behind the grill...My Sierra SLE did not have the temp sensor...nor have I tried to locate one and the harness to date. My understanding is that the mod is very simple if you have the sensor and harness.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did the mod on my truck. I did have to run wire and a temp sensor. The compass and auto dim is built in, but the temp pulls from an outside sensor. I used a factory GM mirrror. It would be cool the temp is built in on one though. There is a guy on ebay (scottlandyardspares) that sells harnesses and sensors for these.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmmm, when I broke my rearview mirror one night with my girlfriend...well I broke it and went to the dealer to watch them put on a new one I only saw 3 wires and he said there was a power, ground and remote power to leaave power till the door opens. He said that the sensor was in the epoxy part that sticks to the glass. He must have been an idiot, and that would make me an idiot for repeating. Sorry guys.

Kyle

·
Registered
24 Posts
my '02 has the compass, temp, and autodimming on the mirror. sensor for the temp gauge is the little black sensor in the middle of the dash towards the windshield. it is also the same sensor that controls the daytime/headlights. i'm not exactly sure how or where you would get to the wiring for it but that is where it reads the temp from for the mirror.

·
GMFS Senior Member
1,946 Posts
Hmm, now that I think about it that is a newer feature that started in 02. I cannot say for sure if it is a plug-n-play mod... maybe someone else has had experience with it.
it came in my 00. it came in the slt's and it had to be ordered with the truck

·
Loves yoga pants
2,408 Posts
gmc4life said:
my '02 has the compass, temp, and autodimming on the mirror. sensor for the temp gauge is the little black sensor in the middle of the dash towards the windshield. it is also the same sensor that controls the daytime/headlights. i'm not exactly sure how or where you would get to the wiring for it but that is where it reads the temp from for the mirror.
I don't think so...that sensor you are speaking of is for the compass mine has that and temp no workie...the outside temp sensor is out behind the grill around the trans cooler...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts