GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well Iam in the process of swapping out gears in my truck and noticed that I guess the owner before me put a open diff in it and which I thought most of
4x4 come with the g80 locker in it. Iam running larger tires(38) and was wondering should I change the open diff to a locker? yes I know tenbolt rearends are not the greatest to handle that large of a tire but it is working for me.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
8,527 Posts
Not all 4x4s came with the G80, look in the glove compartment and see if you have the RPO code G80, if not, your truck did not come with it.

As far as swapping it out, what do you do with the truck? Street only-keep the open diff, it will be easier on your axle as long as you don't try to spin the tires. If you offroad, you will want a locker, as when it comes to wheelspin, you will have less shockload on the drivetrain with a locker than an open differential that allows one wheel to spin 2x the speed when the other wheel is not moving. Don't go through the trouble of swapping a g80 in, it will just be a ticking time bomb, go with a Tru Trac.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts