GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
What's this button do?
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my 10bolt is nearing 200k miles, it's making a lot of noise, sounds like way excessive backlash. not to mention it has a "limited-grip" open diff. if i want to continue to wheel the truck it's going to need a new rearend, so i have a couple options:

a) rebuild stock axle (includes everything except brakes, just did them this summer) and add a locker

or

b) swap in a 14 bolt. obviously i would get one that needs rebuilding to keep costs down, which is fine considering what i've got in the truck now. i'd like to keep my factory wheels, so a semi-floating axle is what i'm looking for. and i still want a locker. also, can i put 3.42 gears in a SF 14bolt?

my long term plans for the truck are SFA and at least 38s, which is the only reason i'm considering the swap, to save a little work when i do the SFA. i'm having a hard time justifying the money to rebuild an axle that i plan on taking out anyhow. am i thinking clearly here? what would you do in this situation? someone please tell me i'm not crazy!

·
GMFS founding member
4,014 Posts
Jaybird said:
so my 10bolt is nearing 200k miles, it's making a lot of noise, sounds like way excessive backlash. not to mention it has a "limited-grip" open diff. if i want to continue to wheel the truck it's going to need a new rearend, so i have a couple options:

a) rebuild stock axle (includes everything except brakes, just did them this summer) and add a locker

or

b) swap in a 14 bolt. obviously i would get one that needs rebuilding to keep costs down, which is fine considering what i've got in the truck now. i'd like to keep my factory wheels, so a semi-floating axle is what i'm looking for. and i still want a locker. also, can i put 3.42 gears in a SF 14bolt?

my long term plans for the truck are SFA and at least 38s, which is the only reason i'm considering the swap, to save a little work when i do the SFA. i'm having a hard time justifying the money to rebuild an axle that i plan on taking out anyhow. am i thinking clearly here? what would you do in this situation? someone please tell me i'm not crazy!
the more bolts the better :imo if you plan on 38s or bigger you're wise to go with the stronger axle.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Jaybird said:

or

A 14 bolt semi-floater WILL bolt in place of a 10 bolt. I know this because I have taken the measurements. You will have to go with different U bolts though. Also, most of the ones I have found with 6 lugs have either a 3.42 or 3.73 gear in them. The ones I have found with 8 lugs have either a 3.73 or 4.10 gear in them. It just depends on where you look. The 14 bolt SF is also a pretty cheap axle at a salvage yard. When you plan to install the 38" tires I HIGHLY recommend installing a 4.56 or 4.88 gear as well. That way, your trucks will still have some balls to it even with those big tires. :anitoof:

·
What's this button do?
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good stuff! i figured this is what i'd get for a response :shake:
wonder how much my 10bolt is worth at the scrap yard, $10, $12? :anitoof:

thanks for the stats Axis, i was worried about getting 3.42s in the 14bolt, i figured that all the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks would at least have 3.73s. i've researched tire size and gears quite a bit, i'd go with 4.88s for sure :bowtie:

this is looking easier and easier by the minute, maybe i'll call a few junkyards tomorrow and see what they've got. what trucks did the six lug 14 bolt come in? any more preferable than others?

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Jaybird said:
good stuff! i figured this is what i'd get for a response :shake:
wonder how much my 10bolt is worth at the scrap yard, $10, $12? :anitoof:

thanks for the stats Axis, i was worried about getting 3.42s in the 14bolt, i figured that all the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks would at least have 3.73s. i've researched tire size and gears quite a bit, i'd go with 4.88s for sure :bowtie:

this is looking easier and easier by the minute, maybe i'll call a few junkyards tomorrow and see what they've got. what trucks did the six lug 14 bolt come in? any more preferable than others?

The 14 bolts came in some half ton Z-71's and I do mean some. You will find the majority of 6 lug 14 bolts in the backs of light duty 2500's. Just look at 6 lug 2500, and you will also see a 6 lug 14 bolt SF rear. Also, since it is a C-clip axle, you can use VHATO's axle write up on fullsizechevy to rebuild it or regear it or what ever.

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
axisT6 said:
The 14 bolts came in some half ton Z-71's and I do mean some. You will find the majority of 6 lug 14 bolts in the backs of light duty 2500's. Just look at 6 lug 2500, and you will also see a 6 lug 14 bolt SF rear. Also, since it is a C-clip axle, you can use VHATO's axle write up on fullsizechevy to rebuild it or regear it or what ever.
The 14bt SF is a c-lip axle?

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Eisenfaust said:
yes it is.
so in other words if a break an axle in it im as screwed as i was when i broke an axle on my ford 8.8.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
CowboyKyle said:
so in other words if a break an axle in it im as screwed as i was when i broke an axle on my ford 8.8.
That would be correct grasshopper. But lets face the facts right quick, the 14 bolt SF has some balls to it. You would have to be doing something crazy to break one if you are using a like a 35 - 40 inch tire. Don't worry Kyle I don't think you are that crazy. You just get high centered alot.... :anitoof: :anitoof:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts