GMC Truck Forum banner

Rebuilding my 5.3L in my NNBS

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BoltspeedMen 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I wanted to get your ideas on an upcoming project I will have coming up. I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with 180,000 miles and have been using a Range device to shut off the DOD/AFM since I have owned the truck which is about 50,000 miles. I am noticing there is a lot of ticking every time I start my truck regardless if it’s full of oil or not and there is a consistent rattle that sounds like is coming from inside the engine. It is now using a significant amount of oil each week and I feel like it could quit me soon.

With that being said, I am looking to rebuild my engine and wanted some clear direction on what exactly I would need to prevent these oil consumption problems I am currently having revisit me in the future after the rebuild. I found a AFM/DOD delete engine rebuild kit that AMS Racing sells online for $1,000 and I also seen that some people are blocking the oil flow passages with rivers to prevent the system from being fed and experiencing oil leaks internally which in turn is causing low oil pressure. My dad has rebuilt his fair share of engines over the years and he is going to help me with this, but I wanted to hear if you all had any recommendations for someone looking for a reliable daily driver, engine rebuild on these 5.3s. Thanks

#2 ·
I went with a BTR dod/afm delete kit and had it tuned by blackbear. We didnt bother blocking those oil holes with rivits. Buddy who helped me built tons of LS's and never plugged them and never had an issue.

Reactions: Go Big
#3 ·
There's alot of different kits to delete it... TSP, BTR, Scoggen DIckey.. all pretty much the same.

I went with texas speed.. kit comes with everything you need to delete it. If you want to be as cheap and easy as possible you can just get a LM7 cam and keep your stock valvetrain. Basically just replacing the cam and dod shit and being done with it. LT1swaps.com can tune out the dod for like 50 bucks if you send them your ecu.. that's what I did.

Or you can be cool and slap in a larger cam. might need to change springs depending on how big you go

Also dont plug shit.. the new cover has o-rings above each oil port to seal them off

#4 ·
The burning oil comes from ring float due to AFM/DOD. Without compression on the cylinder, the oil scraper ring will float. Tuning it out will do wonders for oil consumption.

Plugging the oil gallants is for people putting nonDOD lifters and nonDOD cams in. It’s a must to rasise oil pressure back to factory specs. The o-ring on the $20 cover will not hold.

Reactions: Go Big
#5 ·
Also great luck on getting lifters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.