GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my roll pan on today and i was wondering if i could use this red LED light i had sitting in the garage because it would look sick

but my question is...is its legal to use red for your license plate in georgia?

·
The Barber Shop
3,110 Posts
I know here you can't use the lighted license plate bolts, I'm sure for the plate light it would be illegal as well.

·
Maniac
692 Posts
they may be illegal.

·
2014 CC Denali 6.2
1,221 Posts
I live in Alaska, I have amber led plate lights on my 08 silvy. The only color we can't use is blue. also the light cannot flash (like blue turn signal lamps)

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
good choice, little things like that are just more reasons for a cop to stop you and find other illegal things wrong with your truck, or you.

·
TROLL REVOLT of 2012
2,474 Posts
last time i got pullet over because i put red bulbs on my headlights..lol, he left me off with a worning, he said nothing thats blue or red belongs in the front, red belongs in the back.

But in cali cops are dicks so ill just stick to normal.

·
1,847 Posts
Illegal in Texas...I use to run blue LP lights and never had any troubles but all my friends got pulled over all the time. Get some hyperwhite/led license plate lights. They look pretty cool and are legal...at least in Texas

·
Registered
530 Posts
i know its not legal here but i got red light in for my plate lights. I got pulled over like two weeks for my radio being to loud and all he said about my lights is they looked nice but they really should be white ones because he could write me a ticket for them but wasn't going to

·
Registered
220 Posts
i think white led's would look sweet

·
GMFS Czar
2,031 Posts
Illegal in Texas...I use to run blue LP lights and never had any troubles but all my friends got pulled over all the time. Get some hyperwhite/led license plate lights. They look pretty cool and are legal...at least in Texas
Agreed. I put hyperwhite LEDs in my license plate lights and they look nice. Just a nice clean pure white color, close to a fluorescent light tone in color. I know in Texas, for example, you pretty much aren't allowed to run anything red or blue with the exception of your rear brake lights (red) and blue is pretty much illegal front to back side to side and even under body lights like a neon light kit.

www.superbrightleds.com Get some hyper-white 194 LED bulbs with 6 LEDs on each bulb IMO.

If they're illegal it'd be questionable as it's still white, just not a more yellow white like a classic bulb would be. What brand is your roll pan? Reason I ask is the license plate light kit some brands utilize (like a Sir Michaels pan) uses a sealed light box.

·
GMFS Czar
2,031 Posts
Just thought of a cool idea that would work great on a rollpan...one of our PV's sells it.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155696

Tuck this "tape" all the way across the top and it should light up the whole plate and have that nice pure white color you're looking for. Main reason I'd consider this over just replacing your bulbs with LEDs is the problem I ran into with using LEDs on my stock bumper license plate lights. It doesn't light up as well as a stock bulb. I think it's a combination of the color and the way LEDs sometimes don't spread around as much light as a standard clear incandescent bulb would. IOW, while the LED is actually brighter, the way it's designed the light doesn't create a large spread like a standard bulb.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just thought of a cool idea that would work great on a rollpan...one of our PV's sells it.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155696

Tuck this "tape" all the way across the top and it should light up the whole plate and have that nice pure white color you're looking for. Main reason I'd consider this over just replacing your bulbs with LEDs is the problem I ran into with using LEDs on my stock bumper license plate lights. It doesn't light up as well as a stock bulb. I think it's a combination of the color and the way LEDs sometimes don't spread around as much light as a standard clear incandescent bulb would. IOW, while the LED is actually brighter, the way it's designed the light doesn't create a large spread like a standard bulb.

Either our LED Tape or our Lighted License Plate Bolts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts